The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my doe Fern, seems to be staggering around the pen, no interest in eating, she is cool to the touch, drinking water (with electrolytes) but slobbering it, bowels seems to be like chocolate pudding, when she laid down I got her stand back up but she like groaned when she did then staggered around, I am lost is it bloat? she seems rather on the puffy side today but its all around not just one side??
anyideas?? thanks

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Sounds like polio. Go to the vet and get some thiamin, give her 4.5 mg per lb of body weight, also give her Milk of Magnesia and olive oil, one tablespoon of each, that will help with any digestive upset. What is her temp? If you only have B complex, dose according to the thiamin in it.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I second that Sarah said. That was the first thing I thought also, but it has to be treated RIGHT AWAY.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Bloat will have those symptoms, too. Unfortunately, with these symptoms, whatever is going on - you have very little time. Get her to a vet, ASAP.

I lost one of my favorite does to bloat on July 4th, 2006. She was acting like this when we went down to do the a.m. feeding and we called the vet immediately. Because it was a holiday, the vet on call had to drive from home to meet us at the clinic and my beautiful, sweet doe was dead by the time he arrived.

I've never had a goat with polio but I've heard it will send a goat downhill fast!

Please see your vet and let us know how it goes. :hug:

Kristen

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
What is her temperature? Does she have trouble focusing her eye? Is she in milk or the end of pregnancy?
There are a number of things that could cause what you have discribed. I also would be calling the vet.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fern update;
first thank you all so much, still not sure if its polio or bloat, as for calling a vet, you cant find one around here, they all are dog n cat vets, so I gave her vit. b complex, milk of mag. and some oil. just now. 2 hours ago when I left for the store she was laying down, groaning n grinding her teeth an look extremly fat. when I got home with the meds. she was standing with her head in the "kids crib" , but she was standing on her own made me feel a bit better. she is still cold to touch n moans so i go the meds into her. I have to go to my sons school now :GAAH:
I am :pray: :pray: she will be better when I get back, I sadly cannot cancell this appt. with the school
Thanks so much everyone
:pray: for Fern to get better soon.
Michelle

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Hope she doe well. Is her sides hard? Like they are full of gas? I would also give she some baking soda balls if she has hard sides. That will help if it is bloat.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dont know, how much of the vitamin B complex should I give, all the bottle says is 100 tablets. Thiamin 10 mg per tab. she weighs about 120# what do you think?

this is a quick video of what she was doing when I got home. she just lays there with liquid dripping from her mouth moaning.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Where are you located? If your not too far from me I have Fortified B-complex I can give you some of. You need the stuff that has 100mg per cc. I also know of some vets and goat people around MA and NH that you could call. Please PM me if you want.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
im thinking she may have gotten into something poisenous, do you have any mineral oil and activated charcoal. The stuff you get at the pet sore. If you cant get it in powder get it in rocks and grind it up with a coffee grinder. mix with mineral oil as you can get down her.
hope this helps
beth

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
that girl got into something poisonous.

She needs Baking soda, and activated charcoal. Some Malox would also help her.

Do you have a TSC near you? they might carry the activated charcoal gel - comes in a large tube (like calk tube size). I bought mine from jeffers.

Or you can do like Beth Suggested adn get the fish tank charcoal and grind it up and give it to her.

(now it still could be polio but my guess is poisoning from the looks of her and the pile of stuff below her face, been through this a couple times myself unfortunatly)

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
She got into something, I have also gone through this. Get some Malox, Oil and LOTS of Charcoal into her. As well as some Baking soda. She needs it ASAP.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you all for your help, sadly though we have lost Fern, she was gone by this morning, my first kid born on the farm also my first goat to pass away :cry:
We have been waling around the farm trying to find something that might of been poisonous to her, but we cannot find anythign that she could of gotten into :shrug:
I shall never know what took her from us. She is at peace now not in pain anymore.
RIP Fern

Thanks again
Michelle
SawDust Farm
New Hampshire

1 - 20 of 22 Posts