please Help

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by jduwall, Sep 7, 2009.

1. jduwall

jduwall New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    I just picked up to beautiful babies from Ohio. 1 is 3 weeks old and 1 is 4 weeks old. I am trying to bottle feed them but they just don't seem to want it...(to put it mildly) I am using warmed whole cow milk in a baby bottle with a x type nipple. I would appreciate any advise you all gave give me. Maybe it day was just too much for them.....so worried about them they are so delicate and sweet. :shrug: :shrug:

2. BetterBuckskins

BetterBuckskins New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Taxachusetts
    They probably weren't bottle fed before, just keep putting the nipple in there mouth every now and then, eventually when they get hungry enough they will get it. It is frustrating in the beginning.

3. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Hold baby firmly in lap, try putting bottle in side of mouth & gently work the jaw.Put a dab of karo syrup on it.
    Help stimulate sucking reflex by rubbing babie's behind with your other hand. You can use a warm washcloth while you do this. Also a warm towel on the head while you are trying to feed.
    They'll latch on soon, just be patient.

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Agree with the others. If you hold the nipple in their mouth they usually will cry, try to get away, and gurgle a bit...then they will suck (usually). Just keep trying, they just don't understand that you're trying to feed them. They also seem to get a hang of it better if they are standing..not being held.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I like the Pritchard nipples -- they catch on faster with them. Just note that you need a pepsi bottle or a bottle made by pepsi NOT coke

also not sure your experience with goats or raising kids so dont mind me if you know this already.

Provide grain either as a creep feed or at least twice a day. Also have hay and water available to them 24/7

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    How is it going? It is hard to get them to take it but don't give up. :pray:

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    mine dont like the "X" ones, they will use the pritchard teats though, try and see if that works better...i had a bottle kid once who wouldnt suck off the normal black/tan ones, so I went and got a pritchard teat and she picked up very quickly. :thumb:

8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

just keep trying. i dont like the x type nipple either. I like the prichard or the lamb bar type nipple depending on the size of the kid.
    beth

9. Rainbow Meadows Farm

Rainbow Meadows Farm New Member

May 26, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I was given advise from another goat friend I have locally. She said to dip the nipple in the milk. It took me a little before my sweet baby would drink. I was worried he would starve. First time bottle mommy here. But he looks forward to every bottle now. Just like a pro.

Hope all is well.

10. jduwall

jduwall New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    thanks everyone for your posts. I did get the pritchard nipples and that does work bettle. Bought Coke bottles, maybe that is why they are leaking will get pepsi today. The older girl seems very strong and healthy...getting the bottle a little better but still not drinking more than 1-2 oz...that worries me. I have the 2 week old one with me now. of course, it is cold and raining here and she seems a little weaker so I put her on a heating pad on low and thought I would spend some quality time snuggling...Tomorrow I have to go to the office. I a very nervous about only feeding them 3 times a day...maybe I will call the neighbor to watch them tomorrow, but I did take Friday off...I feel like a new mommy, I am so nervous....thanks thanks thanks for all the advise...I wish you all could give me a big hug~~!!!!! :grouphug: :grouphug:

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    In all honesty, at 3 and 4 weeks they should be taking more than 1-2 oz 3 x a day...if at all possible try giving them the bottle more often and nutridrench too to keep up their strength while they transition from mom to the bottle.

Also, take the plastic ring off of the pepsi bottle, the pritchard will sit better.