Please Help!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by tradershez, Feb 14, 2011.

1. tradershez

tradershez New Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Please can someone help us out.
    (It seems everytime I am on the forum I am desperate for help).

Regarding our neighbour's goat.

One of the triplets (5 months olds) can be getting more and more sick.
    He was tied up/tethered in Decemeber. Before that he was the leader of the triplets super fat and big and strong. He used to eat and dance.

Slowly since being tethered he has deteriated into bones and not much there. His coats is awful. He has been checked for worms, he has been given anti-biotics, but he just seems to look sicker and sicker.

My heart is just breaking as I just know he is dying. He just sits in the grass and doesn't eat. I have tried bringing him his "favourite" food but he just nibbles and then moves away.

He has started cyring alot. Not in pain but like he "lost". The neighbours let him free to see if that would stop the crying but he wanders aimlessly around just nibbling here and there but not much else. Then he cries and cries still.
    Tonight he was sitting in the grass with his brothers. It is like he has just given up on life.

I've tried giving him cuddles. Nothing works. He doesn't drink much water anymore. It is like someone has taken the batteries out of him. The difference between the strong goat he used to be into what he is now is just so dramatic and heart breaking.

We checked his temp - it is within "normal".

I have decided to take him into the vet/volunteer clinic they have on the tropical island we live on. I don;t even think they have any set up for blood testing.

He is doing normal poos, he isn't bloated. In fact his stomach feels ok, we have tried giving him everything to eat and he must be taking some in.

What is wrong with him?

His brothers are all fine and normal looking.

Please help, I don't know what I can do and I feel desperate knowing & watching him die on my watch.

Thanks
    Sherid

2. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I'm so sorry I have no idea??? I hope you can figure out what is wrong with him. Could he have some kind of deficiency?

Good Luck and I am just so sorry :(

3. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

Poor little guy. :( I can't think of what it might be except, as HoosierShadow said, a deficiency...are they feeding minerals?

4. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I was thinking deficiency too.Give him a dose of probios.Are you selenium deficient where you are? Might try a dose of selenium and vit E if so.Also make sure he has loose minerals available along with fresh clean water everyday.Poor little one :(

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    May be cocci.... cocci doesn't always show scouring but can just show rapid weight loss no matter how you feed....

Sounds like... he may not be getting enough to eat...or good enough quality..hay...get Alfalfa....and give him some grain......but do this gradually....

Does he has loose salt and minerals...free choice..?

Give him probiotic paste...in case his rumen is off.....nutra drench..for the vitamins......vit B complex for appetite...

Is he peeing OK?

Drench him with electrolytes...

Hope they can help him... :hug:

6. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    He could have urinary calculi (stones), if he is peeing okay then he doesn't. That is what I thought of right away, though.

Jan

7. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Is this goat alone? Depression can cause wasting for sure. If he is in a herd..then cocci would be a definite possibility as well as Johnes (a wasting disease) granted... this is all on the assumption that he has received good quality hay/or forage, worming and minerals.

8. tradershez

tradershez New Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Thanks for all your help!
    Took him to the vet clinic (it is a volunteer one) to be honest, they were useless. We looked at his eyes for Anemia and he is has pale pink. So we dosed him with B12 that we had in our fridge.

The vet said that they will take bloods - she said she had no idea how to operate the machine!!!!! Great :(

The vet gave him pain med & also worming.

That is all they can do here where we live. They have no scanning machine. I noticed today in his poos that although they are coming out in a normal shape...they have some mucous and also a slight bit of blood in the mucous - but tiny only.

He is just so "dead" zombie like state. He is free now and can eat what he likes...but he slowly goes from place to plave and only nibbles. He used to eat ravenously...but now only nibbles. He is eating and when we got back from the vet I walked him all around the neighbourhood bushes letting him whatever he liked.

We have none of those medicines that you speak of here on the island.

He is peeing ok. It is the right colour and often enough.
    He is licking his lips alot though. I am giving him water every hour.

There was a mention of minerals - should I give him some of our household salt?

This just sucks having useless vets here! There was apparently a rural vet/large animal vet here but it was her "day off"...even though she was still at the clinic. But they did not let her see our boy. Apparently we can only see her tomorrow.

Thanks so much everyone.
    Sherid

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    No.....table salt will dehydrate him.... and isn't what he needs...it is loose salt and minerals for goats...it is packed with vitamins..... that is good for him...

10. tradershez

tradershez New Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Poor little thing. I took him down in my car to have some fresh lovely grass & he ate a bit and then started to fade away as he was standing. So I brought him back up to the carport and put him on a blanket as he was acting like he was wanting to die.He just fell asleep. His breathing was all over the place and he barely lifted his head. I was just crying and crying!

Then at about 5pm he suddenly perked up and started to want to eat again.
    I think my emotions are just all over the place. I just don't want him to suffer.

After barely being able to move he has walked down to be with his brothers.

Perhaps he is finding the heat during the day just too much to bear (we live in the tropics!!)

I'll keep you all updated. Please keep Eddie in your prayers.
    Sherid

11. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    If there is blood in his poop it sounds like he has cocci. This isn't uncommon in baby goats! You should treat with Sulmet (Sulmet Drinking Water Solution 12.5%, you can get it at most feeds stores although it is not labeled for use in goats. Don't put it in the water as it instructs. Give him 1ml/1cc per five pounds one day, and then 1ml/1cc per ten pounds for five more days. Do not quit early even if he gets better. I swear by this stuff. You can weigh him by standing on a scale with him and then putting him down while still standing on the scale and calculating the difference.

12. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Yep sounds like cocci.Get him the sulmet quickly in him cus this will take him down fast.Prayen for your little one and you

13. tradershez

tradershez New Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Thanks for the help - how do I get Sulmet? He is getting worse. He is no longer able to eat and spends his time standing and rocking from side to side. He is "not there" anymore. I sat with him on my lap sleeping (with his eyes open) for most of the day. He has started to smell too. No food today and drinks only a little. We have no access to proper vets and they don't have sulmet. They tested his blood and they said nothing was wrong.????

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    what was he wormed with and how much... for what worms?
    Did they do a fecal on him at all?
    If he had a heavy worm load...and was wormed orally......he could be bleeding out internally..... it is a thought...but could be wrong....
    when worming...and you know they have worms.....they should be wormed again 10 days later...to get the hatching eggs....

what does his gums/eyes... look like ....is the color pale ...almost white ... pink or red?
    He may be anemic.... "if they are pale or light pink".... if so ...he will need iron... to rebuild blood cells........... this can cause weakness...
    open the mouth....and to expose the gums and check the coloring... here is the
    famacha chart....to check the eyes for anemia...
    http://www.extension.umn.edu/meatgoats/ ... ostels.pdf

If they can't do a fecal test for cocci ....which if he is showing the blood in his stool he may very well have it.... wasting away... is another sign...
    Can you get any meds at all ...to treat cocci?
    Have you tried a dog vet? Ask them about Sulmet... or anything for cocci...

15. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    You can get Sulmet at local feed stores. Start calling around and asking if they have it. Make sure you say the whole name, because some employees are stupid and will not know what you are talking about but will have it. I'm sorry to say it doesn't sound like he is going to make it. He has been completely neglected for too long.

16. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    I am so sorry to hear about Eddie's suffering. :cry: Still praying for him to pull through.

17. deineria

deineria New Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Huntington, WV
    It sounds like you are in a location that isn't set up for you to get anything you need - It sounds like Cocci, and sadly, wihout Sulmet, Corrid (doesn't work well) or Di-Methoxx, the little guy will not make it, but it isn't your fault. It might be too late to treat him for it even if you can get it - I know of no homeremedy that would help

18. tradershez

tradershez New Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Hi again. The vets came and took him into the clinic. He is now on a drip - he was foaming at the mouth this morning.

The tests are showing nothing and so they think it may be viral meningitis on his brain??? Has anyone ever heard of this?

Thanks again
    Sherid

19. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    There are certain parasites that can cause neurologic problems....I will be thinking of you and Eddie, prayers sent to help you with your quest to help him.

Albon is the brand name for Sulmet...most vets that care for dogs will have it.

20. tradershez

tradershez New Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Hi everyone, Eddie was put to sleep this afternoon by the vets. We brought his body home from the vet and will bury him later. We are all just completely gutted. Thank you for your prayers.