The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is going to be long but here it goes. About a week ago maybe a little more, my doe got sick. She had 3 kids that were 3 weeks and she got horrible diarrhea for two days, shivers and looked pretty bad. I separated her kids, to give her a break, gave her B vits, probios, and warm water with a bit of molasses for 2 days and she was back to normal. Weather was really hot and then cold and rainy.

Had kids that were hunched up but no diarrhea, didn't look good. Out of six kids one got peanut butter poo, called vet she prescribed corid. Kept them in the kitchen the next day to see if any had diarrhea (barn has dirt floors, hard to tell) one did the day after, so I gave them all 1st dose of corid at bed time. Next morn put them in the barn took 2 legger to school and came home, and one of the babies that had no diarrhea but was standing alone in the corner was paralyzed and died :(. Fecal test finally came back, neg for everything, done at WSU. Now all my kids have diarrhea. Told vet that boy passed away and breeder though it was polio. Prescribed thiamine and antibiotics. 12 week old doe looks stargazing and hunched up eating a lot and poop and pee normal. Really scared and sad, and don't know what to do? Any advice?

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
I would give the thiamine every 4-6 hours..Give her 4 cc cd antitoxin...B complex and take her temp...

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Your doeling sounds like she could have goat polio due the the Corid tying up thiamine. I've only had to deal with it once, and I was unsuccessful in my attempt. Here is an article that walks you through treatment.

http://tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/listeriosis.html

Goat polio and listeriosis can easily be confused for each other, and this article deals with both.

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that unsuccessful part - it just scared you more. :eek:

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
I know is scary..sound slike your little man did have polio...but it would be hard to confirm...Polio will have the goat star gazing ..head pushing against anything..a post, wall..what ever..they will hunch up..stop eating, they will stretch the neck out as to see the stars....Listeriosis has the same symptoms so high doses of Penicillian is ually given as well...but if after a few treatments of Thiamine they show imporvments then you can be sure its polio and not listeriosis....however the Pen Q wont hurt to give...keep her hydradted through all this...was she treated for cocci as well?

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
Yes..corid is a thiamine inhibotor..UGH...didnt even dawn on me when I read that...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a fecal taken from the boy with the less than solid poop, and cocci was negative. After giving corid he had real diarrhea, and so do most of the others. My girl however doesn't. Doc prescribed selenium and thiamin and 2 doses of nuflor. I was told by a trusted breeder not to give antibiotics cause it will kill the gut. Moms did not have CD&T and nobody here carries the anti toxin, so I am worried about enterotoxemia (sp?). I am new to goats, and this is my first kidding. I really wanted to use a natural approach and so I did not purchase the vaccines, but at this point I am really depressed and scared and will do anything to make them better.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
Cocci sometimes does not show up in every poop..they shed in cycles..if she has the runs I would go ahead and treat using sumet or dimethox...its safe..I would give her the thiamine..ask the vet for a whole vile..its cheap..like $12 is what I paid last..Cd antitoxin cost more but can save a life when needed..most tactor supplies carry it or feed stores...some vets too....its an antitoxin..not toxoid..
I understand your breeders concern over antibiotics..but in some cases you just got to use them...then after treatment use probios to restore the flora in the gut..never give antibiotics orally however..always inject unless its neomycin ...
But first things first...she needs the thiamine..there is two strength..100mg and 500 mg...for 100 mg give 1 cc per 25# but no less than 2 cc...if its 500mg its 1 cc per 100#..I would give 1/2 cc at this point..she will pee out what her body does not use right away...re dose every 4 hours until she is acting normal...then only twice a day for a full 24 hours after she is 100%..if she is runny...treat for cocci..no need to let those boogers take her down while she is weak....these two things do now..I would also do cd antitoxin...it is for enterotoxemia..give her 3 cc every 4 hours too.. keep her hydrated ...I know ifs scary...been right where you are...we will just focus on these three meds and get her well...

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
does she have fever? I usully dont use antibiotic unless there is fever..with the star gazing and hunched..Im thinking polio....with the listeriosis we use penicillan..Nuflor is awesome antibiotic for puenomina and upper respt. infection...sooooo with that said lol..personally I would hold off...Unless she has fever...her temp should be 101.5-103.5 ...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my computer is running so slow, your post didn't show until just now... I took all there temps (7 kids in the kitchen) 3 were over 104 close to 105. I gave them the nuflor and some crushed up aspirin with molasses on finger. Probios is up next

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
off to bed, but will update in the morning... one other thing, the girl that was star gazing does not have a fever or diarrhea, but is still looking like her back legs are tight together and her rear is tucked a bit. lots of dry berries and more pee than I can handle. She eats a lot, but is not gaining weight. Thanks for all the support! Pray for me babies please!

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
Yes those are high temps...Im sorry I miss understood..I thought we were talking about one 12 week Doe...oh my goodness..all of them...you did great...how much nuflor did you give to them, it 3 cc per 100#, ..I use nuflor once daily...Banamine helps bring down a fever and reduce painand inflamation..it is however vet prescribed...1 cc per 100# I give the babies 1/4 cc once a day, no more than 3 days...Pepto for runs helps sooth tummy and dry the bums..3 cc each...go a head and treat for cocci using th sulmet or dimethox..this time if year loves cocci...
you can give probios 3-4 hours after antibiotics...keep them hydtrated..hows your star gazer doing?

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
I do not think going without vaccine is a good idea. Would you want that for your human family? To just throw away 100 years of medical innovation and discoveries doesn't seem smart to me. I know that medications given improperly can have a negative impact...to withhold these can easily cost much more both financially and emotionally. In my business I see repeatedly, "for want of a 100 dollar filling you have cost yourself a $900. root canal and an$800 crown". I'd rather be safe then sorry. Jmo

Have you seen any tape worm segments in the berries? That can be an issue with "failure to thrive".

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
on your star gazer, (im reading your past post)...rear tucked, legs held tight..sounds like she is realy not feelng well...still eating but thin? Worm load comes to mind...Valbazen is a good kiddo wormer..gets tape worms as well...1 cc per 10#, oral..I would treat all the kids since being ill lowers the immune system giving the worms a foot hold to take over...chek her lower inner eye lids..are they white,pale, light pink, bright pink or red? goat-link.com has a chart ...clock her anemia eye chart link, this will help you determine oif she is anemic..

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
oh my.....this is quite the situation!!! you're doing an amazing job, and I'm rooting for your babies to pull through!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the support, and advice! The 3 that were high temps and had nuflor last night are all mid 103's. The boy that was 104, and the vet said not to give nuflor till close to 105 is at 104.1, and had aspirin last night. Called to see if I could treat him, but no call back. I have one 9 wk old girl that is happy as a clam, and shows no symptoms, but during weight and temp checks this morn, she is also at 104.4! What do you all think about the selenium that the vet prescribed? I gave all babies small amount of selen and vit e day before vet came out. Mostly dry berries, no worms, fecal clean. One goat has kind of maybe mucous in the softer poop not berries in shape. I worm all of my goats with Molly's Herbal wormer, and tests were negative for cocci? Should I do a fecal on all babies? Bought a microscope for fecals but have not done it yet and am not confident at this point.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rocky Ridge... I know that vaccines are very controversial, but after my deployment to Iraq and tons of shots and a full series of anthrax vaccs, I came home with some serious health issues. I have slowly started treating my family and children using herbs and holistic methods, and we are doing much better. I don't think it is wrong to use chemicals, and I will do anything to make them better, I just am very new to this and don't have it all figured out yet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok... took healthy girls temp again just to be sure and it was 103.6. Do you think laying in the sun could have spiked it temporarily? I hate digital thermometers! They always seem to read a bit diff every time. This one is brand new, cause I thought the other one was reading wrong.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
I would still treat for cocci..it wont hurt but will certanly help if they are loaded..cocci will kill the babies if left untreated..
Learning to do fecals is very wise.. tust yourself..I bet you do great!!!
if you treated with selnuim vit E paste that is once a month treatment..if you use BoSe injectable Selnium with Vit E then I would not retreat

Ok so let me see if I am right....all have mild to no fever, pooping berries, acting normal other wise?
My concerned about not doing Nuflor, even with a mild fever is its not just one kid who might be hot, or stressed or someother cause for low fever..its most of them which tells me their body is battling something...I would treat with Nuflor for any fever ...Point in case: Yesterday I had a doe who didnt want her grain on the milking table in the AM..took her temp and it was normal..gave her C D Antitoxin (per my habit when ever a goats is off) and B Complex..came out a few hours later ..rechecked her temp..up a little bit but stil in range...checked again in the early evening and BAM! 105 and she was not eating..had diarrah and her udder was all but empty, her head hung low, tail tucked and just looked depresed...Gave Nuflor. Took temp about 10 pm and it was dropping but still high..today she is eating..acting normal and will stay on Nuflor for five days..See how fast she went from no fever to high fever ..she is 2 years old..healthy and strong..with babies this happens even faster...it is better to nip it while its not too high then to wait..babies get dehydtred very fast, once you start antibiotics you need to do the full course...when treatment is complete I give porbiotics to restore flora in the gut..

1 - 20 of 57 Posts