The Goat Spot Forum banner

Please help?

2K views 25 replies 6 participants last post by  happybleats 
#1 ·
I've wormed all my goats but there eyes are pink not red what can i give them to help that? They all are acting normal no signs of sickness except one.

I went out a while ago and her jaw is swelled up im guessing bottle jaw from worm overload? I wormed them today though then this afternoon i noticed it. I felt in her mouth to make sure she didnt have anything in her mouth and ran inside and told my parents thinking they would be a little concerned but they told me that she was probably fine and just got stung by a wasp or something but im pretty sure its bottle jaw. What exactly does that mean is happening to her that makes her jaw swell? Im freaking out i just lost a goat this week and it was horrible i dont want to do it again anytime soon. I was supposed to bring her to the sale next weekend but i want her to be well before i sell her. What can i give her other than wormer?

Please anybody i dont want a rerun of what happened the other day and i want to get her better as soon as possible so please any help is very appreciated.

#2 ·
Bottle jaw is caused by anemia, from worm load...red cell and vit B 12 shots help her rebuild her red blodd cells..wormer will take care of th worm issue but needs to be done 3 times tendays apart then once again in 30 days...the fluid is caused by small holes the worms make in the intestines...when she grazes the fluid seaps out and settles in her jaw..whensheis at rest the fluid settles back...this fluid is also aroundhr heart and lungs so she shouldbe resting, and not terribly stressed while she mends...
I recommend Ivomec plus 1 cc per 40# sub Q or valbazan 1 cc per 10# oraly to get both Barpole worms and Liver Fluke, both which can cause bottle jaw

#3 ·
I would also treat any one who has pale eye lids with red cell...and worm the herd..

red cell is 6 cc per 100# ..for the one with bottle jaw I would double the first dose then treat daily for a week then once a week until I see color return, for all others who has some color but pale follow the 6 ccper 100# for a few days then once a wek until good eye color returns....

High protien food help rebuild Red blood cells as well..and fresh green leaves

#7 ·
Didnt mean to send that

...and 40-50 lbs. I've been using cydectin i think its called? It's a blue pour on cattle dewormer that i was told to give 1cc per 22 # orally. I think it said it would clear up those worms ill have to read it again. She got it once last month but i haven't given it to her since then up till this morning. Im going to give it to her in ten days like someone said (sorry i forgot your name).

What kind of red blood cell stuff is it, like is there a name brand yall use? I couldn't find b complex anywhere and had to borrow some from a friend last time is that what i need to give them?

Thanks for the replies.

#10 ·
Red cell can be found at tractor supply or any where they sell horse meds..its a horse supplement...red bottle, red liquid its an oral mediction..
Cydectin doesnt work for liver fluke ..so try Ivomec plus or Valbazen...regular ivomec doesnt get liver fluke either so you need to get the "plus"
B complex is a good support vitamin..helps with the stress of feeling ill...also boosts appitite and energy...you can give her 6-8 cc ..
also be sure she is drinking plentyof fluid...here is a great home made elctrolyte most goat love

Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses(or what you have on hand or honey)
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

#13 ·
#14 ·
We just got red cell at T S, and it came in a gallon bottle. I just wanted to throw in that I'm just giving red cell to my goats, and it can take quite a while to see color in their lids after giving it, depending on how bad they are.
I had fecal checks done to make sure they didn't have worms or cocci., and most of them didn't, but they still have pale lids though I've been giving red cell for over a week now. It takes some longer than others to rebuild their iron, so don't freak out too much if their lids don't get darker as soon as you'd like. (I did. ;) )
I hope she gets better soon.

#17 ·
we are happy you found the app too : )
is that swelling just under her chin or up toward the jaw?...

#18 ·
It's just a little lump that feels squishy between her jaw and mouth. The little spot thats buldged out in the pic is the only part thats swelled. I've had problems with worms with some this year and read a few post and guessed bottle jaw but im not sure. Is there anything else it could be?

#19 ·
bottle jaw is under the jaw...that looks more like a tooth abcess or I had one who had a cud stuck..scared me to death lol...upon inspection I found the cud was prettty jammed in there ..I had to clean it it..take a good look..openher mouth and slid your finger between the outer jaw and gum line..

#20 ·
Ill have a better look tomorrow, i kinda thought it was cud to begin with but i felt it and it just didnt feel right, but then again ive never tried to squish cud through a goats mouth lol. It's kinda on one side more than the other and its right under that spot like it goes from one side to the other, so im not sure. Its like the size of a squashed golf ball? that sounds wierd lol its not really big but it freaked me out. Here's some better pics.

Head Hand Eye Goat Ear

Eye Vertebrate Goat Mammal Sheep

Horse Ear Working animal Mammal Plant

Head Eye Horse Plant Human body

Some pics make it look worse some make it look better...

Attachments

#21 ·
Ok..so thats under the chin not on the jaw...I think treating it like bottle jaw is wise..since you already wormed you are well on your way...with bottle jaw it will seem more swollen as she grazes and decrease when she rest..
check her inner lower eye lids...if they are very pale or white red cell, Vit B 12 and high protien food is needed to help her rebuild her red blood cells.....

#22 ·
I went to check this morning and she was completely normal it was pretty early and they were still standing under the barn so i guess if it comes back this evening ill know what's wrong but im still guessing bottle jaw because her eyes are pale. Im going to go get the red cell today and start giving all of them that. You said to double her amount the first time then give the normal dose the rest right? Do i give it everyday? And how long do i give it to them?

#23 ·
I think you caught it pretty fast... Sometimes, bottle jaw can be a blessing..it alerts us to investigate further :D..
Yes I would do Red Cell double today then regular dose for a week then once a week after that until you see color...High prtien feeds, alfalfa and green leaves help them rebuild her red blood cells...
B complex is a great support vit. and B-12 which is RX is usually given along with iron supplement..but if you can get it..there is a product call B complex plus that has a good amount in it and that can be given in place of reg. B complex. here is a link to show you what I mean
http://goat-link.com/content/view/172/168/#.UeKwV2SDTL8

#26 ·
I had two cases of Bottle jaw...one was real bad and her edema lasted almost 2 weeks..the other was smaller, not as swollen, a bit more than your little doe and it went away the next day...it depends on how bad the edema is. You caught her early which is very good...she is on the mend..keep watch on the lids..my Doe who was real bad is just now finally out of danger and no longer needs red cell...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.