The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've attached pictures of 2 does. The first one had a blood test a month ago and she was open. The last picture is of her too. The second one my friend that was helping me take blood for testing said the 2nd (she bobbed for kids) was pregnant and didn't need a pregnancy test.. My concern is that she isn't pregnant, she's been carrying that belly since the middle of March and quite honestly the pooch pictures look the same to me.... If they are different what really am I looking for..., and what do you all think? The udders have looked like that since I got them last year, and the one that is "supposed" to be preggo the right side was a bit bigger then the left. Also, the buck was separated on April 1st....., but like I said she's had that belly since the middle of March.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She's got quite the lump there if she isn't pregnant. I'm not experienced enough to tell but if you're really nervous you could send in a blood test.
That's just it Amy, it took 3 people to help "hold" her still and that was in the milk stanchion. I really wish I told her to do the pregnancy test too. She's had that pooch since March and it hasn't gotten bigger either... Oh well, it can't be any later than next month..... Maybe I should just sell the girls and get some new girls on the block...

·
Super Moderator
58,925 Posts
She doesn't look pregnant to me. That is probably just a stretched out stomach. How many pregnancies has she been through? Some girls just don't go back to their girlish figure and the ligaments that hold the rumen in tight just go loose. Some girls it is part of their genetics and they just do that anyway. So I think it is just a loose stomach that is looking wide.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Janeen, you've been back and forth for a while on selling these girls....
What is in your heart? If she's too difficult for you to deal with then maybe at least selling this one off would be best. Or waiting until they kid and retaining a doeling then selling the old girls. I know I wouldn't want a girl around that I couldn't handle mostly by myself. I have burly men that could help me if needed for the really heavy duty things but the mundane, I need to be able to do it myself.

Do you think it's a matter of learning to immobilize a goat yourself to do things? I know when I had horses I had to learn tricks to be able to do certain things and goats aren't too much different (except smaller) I have to use my whole body against them sometimes to make sure they're not going to move on me.

Maybe a list of pros and cons to keeping/selling these girls??

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She doesn't look pregnant to me. That is probably just a stretched out stomach. How many pregnancies has she been through? Some girls just don't go back to their girlish figure and the ligaments that hold the rumen in tight just go loose. Some girls it is part of their genetics and they just do that anyway. So I think it is just a loose stomach that is looking wide.
I believe 2, this would be her 3rd. She hasn't always had that belly, just since the middle of March.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Janeen, you've been back and forth for a while on selling these girls....
What is in your heart? If she's too difficult for you to deal with then maybe at least selling this one off would be best. Or waiting until they kid and retaining a doeling then selling the old girls. I know I wouldn't want a girl around that I couldn't handle mostly by myself. I have burly men that could help me if needed for the really heavy duty things but the mundane, I need to be able to do it myself.

Do you think it's a matter of learning to immobilize a goat yourself to do things? I know when I had horses I had to learn tricks to be able to do certain things and goats aren't too much different (except smaller) I have to use my whole body against them sometimes to make sure they're not going to move on me.

Maybe a list of pros and cons to keeping/selling these girls??
Yeah, I know I have... The lady who used to own them and wants to buy them back needed her husband to help her with these 2 for hoof trims... She owned 100 goats at one time. The cons far outweigh the pro's that is for sure, but they were my first goats...

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
First goats, that does make it harder. But if you do sell them know that it doesn't mean you failed them or you. It just means they weren't a good fit. Some people never sell their first goat while others do. You gotta do what's right for you....I'm sure you know all this of course. Decisions like this are difficult.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First goats, that does make it harder. But if you do sell them know that it doesn't mean you failed them or you. It just means they weren't a good fit. Some people never sell their first goat while others do. You gotta do what's right for you....I'm sure you know all this of course. Decisions like this are difficult.
Thanks Amy I needed to hear that:) I tend to get attached too, but I think it would be best for me to get 2 new girls, and sell my friend these girls.... I'm still waiting on the pics and prices of the Alpines, that should come today.... Then I'll go from there. I might get 2 of the Alpines, or 1 Alpine and 1 Nubian and just have a variety:) They should blend well with my kinders.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts