The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I have a boer wether who is about 5 years. Just went to the pasture, he's limping on the front right leg. Holds it up when standing. Temp is 99.9, appetite great, eye color dark pink, offered electrolytes. He's the lowest on the totem pole outside so I have no idea what happened and the others don't make it better I'm sure. Nothin in the foot however when I lift his leg, knee pops very bad. What should I do!?

·
I'm watching you
22,257 Posts
Do you have Banamine? He needs some to reduce inflammation and pain. Do you know how to do a figure 8 wrap on the knee for support?

·
I'm watching you
22,257 Posts
You don't want the wrap to cover the knee cap. It must heal free floating or it will always lock up on him. I can show you...just a sec.

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
adult regular aspirin can help too if you dont have motrin...adult dose...

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay we have aspirin. He's also grinding his teeth. They are due for a hoof trim and I planned to do it this weekend. Would that help?

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
Grinding teeth us usally gut pain...get a temp on him...listen to his rumen..any sounds, gases..chewing cud?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay yeah I can wrap it that way! Not chewing cud, rumen is making soft gurgling noises. That's what it sounds like to me anyway. He is nibbling on feed and wanting hay.

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
Take his temp..if its normal then watch him close...Give him hay and no feed to night, see if he feels better tomorrow...they dont usually grind teeth for body pain such as a hurt leg...If you are in doubt giving cd antitoxin wont hurt...and could help

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
great wrap pic Goat Hiker!!! Im sure your dog will forgive..he aided you in a good cause lol

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
99 is low...which means his rumen is shutting down...do you have CD Antitoxin? If not Milk of Magnesia will help 15 cc per 60# 2 times a day..you also need to get his temp up...Blankets, heating lamp, blow dryer under a blanket tent...his temp should be no lower than 101.5....

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
Give no more feed right now..he cant digest it..offer hay and aflafla , green leaves and get him drinking...here is a home made electrolytes recipe..

Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses or molasses you have on hand or honey
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can do the milk of magnesia. I drenched with warm electrolytes and have a heating pad on him. He's very alert and wanting to run around like a mad man. We also just had a cold front come in if that means anything with his temp. Also only left alfalfa and hay with him, took the grain away

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
Sounds like you are on top of it :D Yes the temp outside can interfer with a good temp but with him grinding his teeth I wouldnt want to chance it
M.O.M. can cause loose stools...let it run its course,..here is a quote per tennessee meat goats
Milk of Magnesia should be dosed orally at 15 cc per 60 lbs bodyweight and given every four to six hours until the goat passes clumps of feces and then goes back to making normal pills.
you can read the whole article here:
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/enterotoxemiaaka.html

·
I'm watching you
22,257 Posts
It sounds as if he's in good spirits, which is very good. Shock from being injured and the cold front could have contributed to the lower temp and caused the gut pain as well. Warmth and hay to eat will do him a lot of good. The MOM may cause some soft stool...That won't hurt him, just don't give grain until it clears up.
If he were mine, I would offer him a beer for being good, it does many good things for a goat in his situation. Raises body temp, seeds rumen function, increases appetite, and offers some pain relief. Some people are okay with it, some not...Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts