The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had goats for a year now, and I just brought home a nigerian dwarf doe and just noticed she has an abscess on the front of her shoulder. I did some reading and I prepped an area in the garage and lanced it open. It came out super thick and cheesy white. I suspect CL because of the location and want to get it tested, but not sure what the proper procedure is or where/how to send it. I live in the middle of nowhere in Northern Wisconsin. I notified the seller and she had no knowledge of an abscess on the doe. There is a more firm spot toward the top of the abscess, not sure if it is scar tissue or something anatomical? She also has a scar on her cheek, so wondering if it's from injury or another abscess. She is ADGA registered, so not sure if that makes any difference. My small herd is also registered. Any advice is welcome. I am so frustrated and upset. :upset:
55719338_805587086472728_1286619953880891392_n.jpg
55810924_385446748960619_3735093977976668160_n.jpg

·
8,187 Posts
Keep her separated from your herd. That didn't just pop up, those abscesses take awhile to form. Will the breeder take her back or refund your money, if you just got her? What a thing to have to deal with.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keep her separated from your herd. That didn't just pop up, those abscesses take awhile to form. Will the breeder take her back or refund your money, if you just got her? What a thing to have to deal with.
I dont see how the breeder would not have noticed that level of an issue. I agree with the above advice.
I did not get her from the original breeder, but the buyer, so I am the 3rd owner. The original breeder is a reputable breeder and the goat was part of a package deal, and the buyer decided to sell off this goat because she only wanted the other 2 in the group. So I am the sucker that bought her. She is separated from my other registered goats, but still in with a wether who we may end up butchering anyways. I made an appointment at the vet for tomorrow. Thank you all for your responses.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Well who knows she may turn out to be an awesome Doe :). Just continue to love on her, possibly put some neosporin on those wounds to keep bugs and such off ?

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
Put the goo in a clean container and seal it, put it in a sealed big plastic zip lock bag and refrigerate it so it stays fresh until you can get it to the vet or lab.

I am sure your vet can send it in to the lab for testing.
Call and ask first.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She was seen by the vet today, and they took some blood and are sending it off. Nothing to do but wait. Vet said I was right to be concerned, the abscess is right over the lymph node and the one on the other side of her neck is also a little swollen.:( He also said it could just be her body reacting to an infection from somewhere else in her body. Everything else was normal and she's healthy. For my peace of mind I would like the other 4 goats in my herd tested now. The vet said I can pull samples myself and they will send them in for a small fee.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
So the vet sent blood off to the lab, not the pus?

Testing the pus is conclusive, the blood test is merely an indication.

I'm glad you have a wether in with her. I'm sorry this happened to you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The vet said my sample of pus was contaminated because it was on a paper towel so it couldn't be used. Still waiting on results of her blood test. I want to test my herd now, but am having trouble finding the red top tubes. Can they be plastic or do they have to be glass?

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
I bet that pus could have still been tested, which is the best way to know for sure its CL. As stated the blood test will only show she's been exposed. This being the same for your goats. Red top blood vials are the only way to send samples in. Your vet should be able to give you some if you only have a few to do. other wise Jeffers has them. You can send your samples off to WADDL yourself and save an extra fee.

Reactions: mariarose

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I got the results back today and she tested positive for CL and negative for CAE. I talked to the lady I bought her from, and she said the breeder vaccinated her goats but wasn't sure if she was vaccinated for CL. I have a message in to the breeder to confirm if she was vaccinated for it or not. I have learned a great deal from this whole messy ordeal, and I am going to buy some red blood collection tubes to keep on hand. Glass or plastic?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I've had goats for a year now, and I just brought home a nigerian dwarf doe and just noticed she has an abscess on the front of her shoulder. I did some reading and I prepped an area in the garage and lanced it open. It came out super thick and cheesy white. I suspect CL because of the location and want to get it tested, but not sure what the proper procedure is or where/how to send it. I live in the middle of nowhere in Northern Wisconsin. I notified the seller and she had no knowledge of an abscess on the doe. There is a more firm spot toward the top of the abscess, not sure if it is scar tissue or something anatomical? She also has a scar on her cheek, so wondering if it's from injury or another abscess. She is ADGA registered, so not sure if that makes any difference. My small herd is also registered. Any advice is welcome. I am so frustrated and upset. :upset: View attachment 151307 View attachment 151309
Hope everything goes well!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
On a happier note, my FF had her kid today, a first for me too. Mom is a ND and dad was a small Nubian. I was worried about the kid being too big, but she is perfect and mom did a great job. Mom was yelling at me in the background.
56744569_10217006325262138_5464157952040501248_o.jpg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts