The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought home two Nigerian dwarf goats on Sunday, about 8 weeks old, not knowing much about them at all but doing my best!! Things have been going well the last few days but this morning I went out to check on them and notice they have the runs. I’m not sure what’s going on so any advice would be appreciated! I am taking a fecal sample to the vet today at 5:00 but I honestly just need all the info on taking care of these little guys that I can get.
They are eating alfalfa mix hay, goat grower and goat minerals. Some goat treats when my kids go out and see them and they have fresh water daily.
Thank you in advance

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Are they eating hay and twigs like good goats? It might be as simple as too much sugar in their diet.

And - I almost forgot - Welcome to this forum for goat lovers! :)

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
I agree longer they have coccidia the more damage is done, don't wait..you can use DiMethox ( also seen as SulfaMed) its injectable given orally. Toltrazuril which also needs to be ordered. You can also go the natural route... I would do one fresh raw Garlic clove blended in with Tummy Tamer blend of 1 teaspoon each cinnamon, cayenne pepper, ginger, slippery elm ( often can be found in capsule form at pharmacies) ACV and molasses in enough water to drench..usually at least 10 cc. Drench this every 15 minutes for the first hour..then every 30 minutes the next hour, then once an hour for the remainder of the day..then day two give 4 times a day until babies seem to recover. Bring in a fecal to retest. If you have access to quality essential oils then we can use them as well..

Reactions: Dwarf Dad

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can use OTC corid, there is a powder form.
Cocci treatment should be done right away before too much damage is done.

There are other kinds out there as well.
I did buy some corid today. I will start it this evening. I also bought some of the probio gel... should I give that to them or just keep it on hand?
Also, I have read some things about goats needing baking soda? What's that about?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did buy some corid today. I will start it this evening. I also bought some of the probio gel... should I give that to them or just keep it on hand?
Also, I have read some things about goats needing baking soda? What's that about?
BTW, both goats no longer have diarrhea but they will still get treated for the cocci. Is that normal for the diarrhea to go away even when hey were positive?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
Diarrhea can come and go, I had 8-9 week old kids with no symptoms yet still had coccidia. I would give probios, but that's just me -- I am a big fan. You do want to support their rumen's through this time. And no, they don't need baking soda. Goats produce their own bicarbonate, so they only need baking soda if they get bloated, it is something to have on hand but not to offer to them. It is dangerous for male goats to have it free choice, as it de-acidifies their urine which can lead to urinary calculi. For females, I've never heard of it very obviously doing harm in the way it can to males. But it is a good tool to have in your belt (lol, a.k.a first aid kit).

I highly recommend what @happybleats calls "tummy tamer", for me it is "tummy trouble paste" but it is practically the same recipe ;)

I treated cocci successfully using garlic, GI Soother from Fir Meadow LLC, and Kochi Free. Kochi Free is really what did it, a 10 day treatment of liquid drops, it is a small dosage and easy to give.

Corid may work well for you, but I often find that the lasting damage from coccidia really needs that "herbal touch" to fully recover and heal the digestive tract from the toll of diarrhea.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
I agree longer they have coccidia the more damage is done, don't wait..you can use DiMethox ( also seen as SulfaMed) its injectable given orally. Toltrazuril which also needs to be ordered. You can also go the natural route... I would do one fresh raw Garlic clove blended in with Tummy Tamer blend of 1 teaspoon each cinnamon, cayenne pepper, ginger, slippery elm ( often can be found in capsule form at pharmacies) ACV and molasses in enough water to drench..usually at least 10 cc. Drench this every 15 minutes for the first hour..then every 30 minutes the next hour, then once an hour for the remainder of the day..then day two give 4 times a day until babies seem to recover. Bring in a fecal to retest. If you have access to quality essential oils then we can use them as well..
Which essential oils specifically for coccidia, I'm curious? :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Diarrhea can come and go, I had 8-9 week old kids with no symptoms yet still had coccidia. I would give probios, but that's just me -- I am a big fan. You do want to support their rumen's through this time. And no, they don't need baking soda. Goats produce their own bicarbonate, so they only need baking soda if they get bloated, it is something to have on hand but not to offer to them. It is dangerous for male goats to have it free choice, as it de-acidifies their urine which can lead to urinary calculi. For females, I've never heard of it very obviously doing harm in the way it can to males. But it is a good tool to have in your belt (lol, a.k.a first aid kit).

I highly recommend what @happybleats calls "tummy tamer", for me it is "tummy trouble paste" but it is practically the same recipe ;)

I treated cocci successfully using garlic, GI Soother from Fir Meadow LLC, and Kochi Free. Kochi Free is really what did it, a 10 day treatment of liquid drops, it is a small dosage and easy to give.

Corid may work well for you, but I often find that the lasting damage from coccidia really needs that "herbal touch" to fully recover and heal the digestive tract from the toll of diarrhea.
I live in a really small town, where would I get those products?

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
Which essential oils specifically for coccidia, I'm curious?
There are three that seem to work well..Clove, Cinnamon and Oregano. We use Clove more often than not. Clove and oregano are hot oils and should be diluted a bit more. I save the oregano for the oil blend we use. cinnamon is great to address tape worm : )

Reactions: Dwarf Dad

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
Be sure to dilute and dose corid properly and Keep thiamine on hand ( or at least B complex) in case they show signs of polio, at which time stop corid and dose with Thiamine/b complex to equal 500 mg thiamine every 6 hours until symptoms are gone for a full 24 hours.
When dose proper you should not have an issue, but its good to be ready just in case. This is what I learned on this forum to mix from those who use it in their herd.

Corid: Mix 6 tablespoons of prepared corid to 16 oz water
you can make a smaller batch by cutting it in half. Then dose it at
30cc per 100lbs
15cc per 50lbs
7.5 per 25 lbs and so forth

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
20% Powdered mixture: 3 ounces(10.5 tblspns) to 1 quart water
Mixed solution well. Shake well before use.
then dose it at ...
30cc per 100lbs
15cc per 50lbs
7.5 per 25 lbs
and so on
treat individually for 5 days

1 - 20 of 20 Posts