Please Help

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by TNT Ranch, Nov 1, 2020.

1. TNT Ranch

TNT Ranch New Member

Jul 16, 2018
    I have a 7 month old borer that has a swollen area around the cheek, jaw area. Our community was impacted by an ice storm and many still don’t have power. I can’t get her to a vet until at least Tuesday or Wednesday. I am attaching pictures. Any ideas or advice is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    When was the last time you wormed her? It looks like bottle Jaw. is it soft and squishy or hard if it is hard (that would surprise me) you have an infection.
    check her lower eye lid i think you will find it will be very light pink to white. it should be dark pink

3. TNT Ranch

TNT Ranch New Member

Jul 16, 2018
    I will check her eyes. It is squishy.

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  4. TNT Ranch

TNT Ranch New Member

Jul 16, 2018

We only worn when needed and have not done so since March. None of the other goats are showing symptoms but we will check their eyes.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  5. jschies

jschies Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2014
    If that is bottle jaw you will need to treat her for whatever is causing the anemia and help her body make new red blood cells. Bottle jaw is caused by anemia. It is very serious. She will absolutely need B complex every day and either Red Cell or injectable iron as soon as you can get it into her. If the anemia is caused by worms, she will need to be dewormed with a gentle wormer (so all the worms don't die at once) and then again with a stronger one. Good luck with her.

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  6. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    She is severely anemic, likely caused by Barber Pole Worm. I would begin with Safeguard liquid at 9mL per 100 lbs and injectable Ivermectin 1% at 1mL per 30 lbs if you happen to have those on hand. If not, which dewormers do you have?

Begin Red Cell iron supplement if you can get it.

What type of proteins sources does she have right now? Is she on any grain/feed?

7. TexasGoatMan

TexasGoatMan Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Dekalb, Texas
    Tractor supply sells an iron supplement that is better for goats than red cell. It is labeled for as swine supplement. I have used it with better success/results than red cell. Goats like the taste of it better also. I looked it up and it is called SwinePrefer IronBoost, 14 oz bottle.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    SalteyLove, MadHouse and GoofyGoat like this.
  8. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    If you find she is anemic i would check all your goats and worm the ones that need it.