The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doe, Carolina, is 10 years old. About a month ago, she developed a lump on the right (her right) side of her face, in the same spot as this one. Was hard, like bone. Appeared out of nowhere. She didn't like it touched. Slowly went down after about 2 weeks, gone in about 3-3.5.
Now she has the same thing, in the same spot, feels the same, appeared the same way. Still doesn't liked being touched. But it is on the other side of her face. Temp is normal, 102.8 I think. Either that or 104.6. I don't remember.

Ok pics aren't uploading, I will try again later. But any insight on the matter until then would be great.

·
Registered
30,656 Posts

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Cathy. Doesn't look like any of those lumps! Here are some pics. The lump feels just like bone.

·
Look for me in the barn...
1,074 Posts
How does it feel? I have a girl with a salivary cyst - it's hard and moves freely between my fingers if I pinch it. Have you felt inside her mouth to see if it's on her gum or in her cheek?

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's rock hard, like bone. Tried reaching my finger in her mouth to feel it a couple days ago, ended up with me being bit.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Not sure if if this is going to be any help or not, but I have a doe who usually has a lump like this that also changes sides, and it turned out be a clump of cud. I know this because the vet was able to pull it out on a visit for testing for something that I have since forgotten.

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
use a syring to slip between her teeth and keep her from biting down and run your finger along side of her mouth with the lump...I had a doe who got cud stuck..it would be very hard and I could tell it bothered her..became a routine wiping it out for her....also from the picture Im more inclined to think tooth abcess...might be good to have a vet look at her once you are sure its not a stuck cud ;)

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
It's either old doe old teeth (cud) or thread worms (Safeguard) check for holes between her toes.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I actually have a doe with similar lumps on her cheeks, they come and go... I never have been able to feel anything inside her mouth. I wonder if its the same thing?

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
I am absolutely not kidding about the holes between the toes, around the top of the hoof, under the pasturn thingies, geeze, I blanked. . Thread worms are not common but, look anyway...

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Yep, she does. How do you treat it? Wow, perhaps this is also why she has been a little sickly even with the copper boluses and wormings. The lady that used to own them that wants to buy them back said she has had the bumps in her mouth for as long as she has known them... She does have holes in the middle of her hoof, small but they are there.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Is it possible to post a picture of the holes? I have never heard of anything like that.

Hope you found the cause and she will be back to normal soon. She said Safe guard. I wonder if it is a good three day treatment that will work? :confused:

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I can do that... It won't be until this evening though... Oh, just an FYI to Goathiker she might be pregnant, I will know for sure around the end if the month if she goes back into heat or not...

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
I treat them with one day Ivermectin and 3 days Safeguard much like people treat Deer Worm. These are also a Hook worm. They travel through the veins to the lungs, are coughed up to the mouth, and then swallowed to the stomach.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I treat them with one day Ivermectin and 3 days Safeguard much like people treat Deer Worm. These are also a Hook worm. They travel through the veins to the lungs, are coughed up to the mouth, and then swallowed to the stomach.
Um yuck:( okay, I will the ivermectin and safeguard, I only have valbason, and positive pellets right now...

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
YUK...now Im going to check my goats.even though I dont see any sign...and Im going to show this to my kids who love to run barefoot even after I tell them not to lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts