The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
58,877 Posts
The back pads need to be level with the front. You can see the "lip" that is starting to grow over the front of the pad. You want the whole pad even.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
You can also nip off a little of the front toe, diagonally. I don't how to describe it properly, but I'm sure you'll figure it out with everyone's help. :D

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well I did some more on the girls feet today. It seems Keri is the only one that has that on her feet. I am not getting them even cause I am so afraid I am going to hurt them. They are getting better at letting me so maybe I can get better at doing it. Is there a file or rasp that can be used on goats to smooth and even them out.. I didn't get pictures today will try tomorrow. But guess goats feet or simple to others and not interesting..

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Don't worry about hurting them, just take your nippers and nip that little "lip" off, and then file it down till it's all flat. Stop when you see red, if it bleeds put a little flour on it or just hold pressure on it for a bit. It will usually stop pretty quickly. I nipped Pepper a little too short and had to put a "pressure" bandage on with some "vet tape" (the stuff that sticks to itself). It was fine, had to wrestle her to get it off, lol.

I have used coarse sandpaper on a block to file the edges, it's easier then those rasps. A medium/fine file works too.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Di. I have nipped that lip off and going into town today so will get some sandpaper and see what I can do to get it level. My helper is working late hours this week so guess I am on my own. I really need to get a stand set up and get them use to it. They are getting better standing for me now so that helps also.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
You know, I've never filed or sanded my goats' hooves. I always meant to, but it kinda scared me, hehe. I was worried I'd scrape off too much.I just trim as far as I can and that seems to work.
I have been meaning to get a file or something though. :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts