Please-Need Advice

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by FLCityFarm, Feb 28, 2011.

1. FLCityFarm

FLCityFarm New Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Hi, New here and I'm sorry about just jumping in with a question.

I have 2 Nigerian Goat Doelings (bottle babies) that are 2 weeks old. One of them stopped eating about 4-6 days after I brought them home, which happened about a week ago and lasted for almost 24 hrs. I gave her Nutra Drench and she was fine but a day or two later she developed runny poo, which she is getting all over her her backside and seems to be getting worse. Her bottle appetite is still good and she is on powdered goat's milk.

I talked to a guy at the feed store. He said I should try a pro-biotic first and if that doesn't work then dewormer.

If you think I should deworm, please let me know what which one, dosage (if you know), and which method. He said they have the pellets for deworming but I worry about her getting too little and the other getting too much.

Thanks!!!! :whatgoat:

2. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Could be cocci.I wouldn't do the pellets to deworm them.You could use ivomec 1cc per 33lbs given orally

3. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    It may be that you changed their feed (in this case milk). It also could be cocci and you could have a fecal done from your vet. You can treat with Dimenthox (Hoegger sells it). Probios won't hurt and can only help. You can use pepto to stop the runs. We at various times have had kids with runny poo and it seems always to be related to stress or cocci. Do they have temps?

4. FLCityFarm

FLCityFarm New Member

Feb 28, 2011
    She probably weighs less than 4 pounds. She is a Dwarf. Can I still give 1 cc?

5. FLCityFarm

FLCityFarm New Member

Feb 28, 2011
    No temps. Can I go with Pepto, worming, and see if that works. If not then fecal?

6. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I wouldn't give the full 1cc dose.I can't remember the dosage for kids sorry.I give Molly's herbal wormer now which is a natural dewormer.Maybe someone else can chim in. Probios would only benefit her.Could be the milk switch like stated.Probios would help with that.Good luck!

7. jodief100

jodief100 New Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Some kids do not respond well to the milk replacer. I suggest switching her to whole cows milk from the grocery store. BUT- cocci and worms are serious issues and you do not want to wait. Also treat for cocci, I think she is a little young to be getting worms. Look at her eyelids, if they are red or dark pink it is probably not worms.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Well Hi ..and welcome.... don't worry about asking questions that is what we are here for... :thumb: :wave:

Sometimes it can be the powered milk... that can cause it...how much are you feeding and how are you mixing it? Could be to rich for the kid...and sometimes making it with a bit more water than stuff at first and gradually increasing it may help as well.... until the system gets use to it....

What color is the stool?

The best thing to do is ...get a fecal sample and have them check it ....then you will know... how and what to treat for... if the kid has an issue or if it is just the milk.... :wink:

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    At 2 weeks old, and on powdered milk replacer I would get a fecal run before giving any meds for worms or cocci, you can try giving her whole milk for the next couple feedings and see if her poop firms up..some kids do great on replacer and others don't.
    It's going to be a trial to keep her backside clean but do try the whole milk from the grocery store before you give her any Pepto and see if she firms up with the change in diet.

BTW..Welcome!