The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even tho its a ways off and things will change I am sure but what do you think I should be looking for in a buck to breed my girls. Keep in mind I had no help so these are random shots of them. Thank you for any help.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
You want a buck as close to breed standard as possible with strong udder genetics behind him. Make sure his dam's udder is nice and udders on the sire's side are nice as well. For your girls, especially, it would be good if they're bred to a buck with a strong topline and nice rump. That's where I see your does could especially use improvement...just from the photos provided.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I think the girls look nice :) growing like weeds! And I LOVE their collars! Where did you get them?! Some of my girls need new ones :D lol!

Ok, now, as for bucks, like Kaylee said nice udder genetics are a must, Gidget's mom has small teats, and they need better teat placement, though her sire's mom should help her with both of those things :) but good to keep that in mind ;)
Willow's mom has teats on the smallish side, but they have gotten a bit bigger and I expect them to be even bigger next year if she is anything like her mom, and she has the same sire as Gidget

I agree, toplines could be a bit stronger, eith more upstanding at the withers, though they aren't helping themselves any for the pictures lol! Because I know Gidget had a very nice topline/upstanding withers when she left here ;) and Willow was nice too. They do go through awkward growth spurts and look weird sometimes ;)

Some more width never hurt either, and they all seem to have nice depth of body and length :)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I was going to say width and topline, though it is hard to tell from pictures where they are not set up because a spectacular topline can look awful if a goat decides to stand funny (my mini Nubian buck tends to hunch his butt, lol. His topline is decent, not great, but it always looks horrid because he hunches every time I bring out the camera and I am always by myself when I want pictures)... but those guys up there beat me to it. :)

·
1,983 Posts
I agree with what has been said as far as what you want in a buck being as close to breed standards as possible. I have difficulty in commenting on what needs improvment for a few reasons. Pasture pics can be very misleading. Their age, they just change so much as they grow. I can't tell you your opinion on the breed. Yes we all try to breed for the standards, but we all have an opinion on what we want for our herd. I'm sure you have noticed different breeders have different styles of nigerians. They key is to find your voice(and I know you have one!).

If Keri were still here. I would breed her to Woody(Proctor Hill buck), I am breeding her sister to Woody when she is ready. I am looking for more length of neck and rump. Keri is wide, she is wider then her sister.

I will say that I am repeating Beau-Tye x Petunia breeding this fall, because I love the results. I do plan on retaining another doe.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
as it has been said it is hard to know what they need as the pictures are not setup. if you can get someone to help you set them up we all could have a better idea of what needs improvement.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone. Just as soon as I can find someone who is not busy here to take pictures when I am working with them it will be better I think. I get impatient when I want to do things and I wanted to post their pictures again. Keri is a real stinker when trying to lead and set her up. She doesn't like being separated from the others so gives me a hard time lol.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
^ I was just going to say that :)

I have some that lead great in a group, and not so good alone lol! Just takes time :) and most of the time as they get older they get better about it ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts