PLEEZ help me decide on who to sell

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by heathersboers, Nov 30, 2008.

1. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    OK y'all- We have too many goats- we HAVE to cut back on some of them-All of them are bred to Wildman or Trax and due either Dec. or Spring of 09-can any of you please help me decide on who to let go? I need some help-I guess I am biased on my favorites, but I am trying to keep the ones that are built the best,along with bloodline---based on looks-what would you suggest?? I PROMISE I won't get mad at all-Our feed and hay costs have to go down!!! thanks!

2. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I'll happily look and give you my oppinion but how many are you wanting to get rid of?

3. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Probably about 5 more than the 5 we already have for sale- we are trying to keep some of the kids born so far this year to build our own herd up, instead of buying goats from other breeders.we have paid lots of money for some of these goats, and they still don't win.I have 5 does for sale on our doe pages already. I want to keep the best looking does that I have to breed to our bucks.

4. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    Well, I went through and picked the ones I'd sell off. I'm nitpicky about some things though and can't tell as well from pictures as you can in person.

RM 509- not the widest made doe. Good pedigree but has been flushed twice and her fertility might be affected.
    WOB Xtra Classy-looks to have weak pasterns and has high dairy influence and airplane ears(might not throw correct ears), flat face
    WOB Callie-ties in rough at shoulder, flat face, high dairy influence and airplane ears
    Dolly-flat face, used as recip and may have scarring that affects fertility, low ended
    SGB Lil Darla-Good pedigree but flat faced, balloon teat, narrow base width

And I was assuming Crue and Brownie were not options since they are your pets.

5. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    We paid a lot for 509-she was supposed to be bred to RRD Sureshot but wasn't-she never really has picked up her weight like she was suppose to-so we are going to have to keep her to try to get some money out of her. Her milk has dropped,but she just doesn't look bred to me.Xtra Classy actually is the meatiest doe we have-at the state fair-the judge said that she would have been in the top 3 in her class out of 10 if it werent for those ears.She is also due around Christmas-she is an option after she kids-Callie produced camilla-our 4th place doe at the NC State fair-she is due christmas-I will sell her after she kids if they aren't as nice as I think they should be.-Dolly is going to go-I bought her from Randall as a recip but never used her. She is a large doe and a great mother, but no papers-that kills what Im trying to do.darla is just built well besides what you mentioned-her teat was like that when we got her-so she nurses on one side- I already have both her kids sold when she has them-so I can't sell her. What do you think of Strawberry? She is due in 3 weeks, but Im torn on keeping her or selling her after she kids-she is a bit weak on one of her pasterns in the rear. I am also going to sell Pride-we have too many bucks.

6. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    Heh, I definitely understand keeping a doe around till you get some money back. I just stay away from flushed does though because of fertility problems.

Classy does have meat going for her. I was just having to be nitpicky...and faces is my main pet peeve.

Lets see...Strawberry has a flat face as well and doesn't have much muscling in her forearm and hindquarter. But she is pretty deep bodied for having Nubian influence. Is she steep rumped? It sort of looks like it but can't tell much from the angle.

That sucks about Pride. But I guess you do have a lot of bucks with Ryals stuff.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    WOB Xtra Classy....her ears are airplane ears..

WOB Callie.....does tie rough at shoulder

Dolly .......Starting a balloon teat

SGB Lil darla....very bad balloon teat

CFW 359 .......weak pasterns

8. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Thanks y'all for the input- im gonna talk to my husband about it- badnews-strawberry's rump is a lil steep-and Im thinking the bads outweigh the goods on her- i guess it depends on her kids-but shell probably go anyway along with Xtra Classy and callie-I don't believe that hubby will let me sell darlA-HE LOVES THAT GOAT. dolly is going to go too-What should I price her at being bred to Wildman?? $200 or so??

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that sounds fair.....if she isn't that far along......if she is closer to kidding I would ask a little more.. :)

10. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Thanks y'all-Its good to see another persons side of things-we just need to cut down, and that is a hard decision to make when you like and dislike certain things about each goat.

11. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
  12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  13. eliya

eliya New Member

O.K. I'm going to ask a question that may sound dumb... What is a "flushed doe"? Is it a meat goat term? I've just never heard of it.

14. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    It's a pain in the butt is what it is! lol I had to help with one this year, but I'm not good at describing it. :oops: Hopefully one of the meat goat people can help you out.

15. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    two types of flushing....correct me if im wrong!

1) increasing grain intake, to increase ovulation of eggs, (produce more kids)
    2) a surgical procedure, to take fertilized eggs for one doe and put in a recip. doe to carry them until birth. Easier for producers to get max. amount of kids out of one doe,

16. eliya

eliya New Member

Thanks! Wow. #2 sounds like quite the invasive procedure. I'll stick to letting my bucks do their job. :greengrin: Now that you mention it, I have heard of #1, but I guess I just didn't think of that since it was said that it might affect her fertility...