Plugs, plugs everywhere!

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by keren, Jun 29, 2009.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Seems like my girls have decided today is the day to lose their plugs! lol

All except Anna are walking round this morning with their plugs half out ... looks like they are gearing up for kidding season. The FF has got a cute little udder, the experienced girls are a bit more relaxed about things, loose vulvas but no udders in sight.

Seems strange to only have a handful to kid ... normally I have at least 20, sometimes 30.

This kidding season is gonna be easy peasy :greengrin:
  2. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    :clap: :clap: :clap:

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    So, how many are there ready to go?

I cannot imagine having 20-30 does kid out at once, WOW I am bald just thinking of next Spring with 3 does!
  4. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    only 6 this year liz ... I had to cut back a LOT, sell most of them. Sold a lot of preggo does only a month or so ago, which was sad, because I'd set up those breedings and had been waiting to see the kiddos. Two of my angoras I'm quite sure are empty - they should have been pregnant, and they will be headed to freezer camp if they dont spit out a kid in a month or two. And then Charlotte the harlot didnt maintain her pregnancy because she was so sick.

So its gonna be very very strange, I only have ONE angora :shocked: due! Two dairy does (one is my brother's) and 3 boers.

I think the most I've kidded down was 80 odd does in about a 2 wk period ... now THAT got a bit crazy!
  5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    WOW 80 in two weeks... :shocked:
  6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Wow, you really will be in shock then...or should I say "kid withdrawal"......I thought I was going to be nuts when I had 4 does deliver ....won't ever do more than 3 again!
  7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    yup definitely having goatie withdrawal lol

AB ... ugh, tell you what I was a mess those two weeks lol didnt sleep, hardly ate, went through all my clothes cos didnt have time to do any washing, everything was covered in placenta and kidding goop. It was mad, I was having to tag kids basically as they fell out, so I knew who belonged to who, only triplets and quads got to go in mothering pens, singles and twins just had to cope, cos I didnt have enough pens. I was trying to move the freshly kidded does across to another pen because a couple in there kept stealing the kids, before they had their own. At one point, two does had triplets all in a pile - 6 kids there, 2 mums, NO clue who belonged to who - luckily they were just crossbreds so I just divided them up and they were happy. Of course, we had to have our worst spell of wet and cold weather for the whole year, during those two weeks. At any one point in time I'd have up to 10 kids sitting in front of the fire in the living room. I started putting velcro tags on the legs of the ones inside, with the mum's number, cos I hadnt got to tagging them all yet. And there were little goat rugs everywhere.

You know its funny, those two weeks were absolutely mad, really hard, dirty work, and yet, I love doing it. I love kidding season. Its frustrating and stressful and heartbreaking and dirty and tiring and uplifting and joyous and rewarding and glorious all at once!
  8. helmstead

helmstead New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Alfordsville, IN
    Amen to that! Babies soon! :dance:
  9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It is definitely.. going to be ..very easy for you.....maybe the break of the big rush.... will help you be able to relax a little more..........and enjoy the wee ones :greengrin: