Plz Help...baby choked

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by liz, Mar 21, 2008.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Tilly's littlest doeling is a very small kid, she puts me in mind of a puppy, all of these babies are nibbling hay and eating grain, well she choked on a bit and I had her head down patting her ribs til she coughed and cried, she had foam coming from around her mouth and eded up with a chewed up pellet come out her nose! This kid is really tiny and was the cause of my post on "rattly nose" Since this has happened I am wondering and really need to know if I should put her on penicillian, just to try and prevent an aspiration pneumonia. She nursed from mom and was eating hay when I left the barn for the night. No coughing or breathing trouble. Her new owners are so attached to she and her sister, I would hate for her to be sick . BTW...she is 4 weeks old and is 8" at the shoulder and 9 1/2 " from chest to tail. TINY.

2. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Talk about tiny I would see what she sounds/looks like in the morning.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thank you, I was soooo scared, she had such a panicked look on her face too, my goodness I don't know what I would have done if I wasn;'t there!

4. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Your welcome.Knowing me I would have panicked so badly I wouldn't have been any help to her.LOL

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    beings that she has been through such tramma yah I would be seriously thinking about it.

I know I dont' like to push antibiotics (and you dont' either) but you have to go with your gut and if you are thinking of it already good chance you should.

6. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I'm so glad you were there to help your baby! Once you start penicillin don't you have to give at least 5 days? I think that's what my vet told me. How's she doing this morning?

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Delila is doing fantastic! Theres no aftereffect from the choking and I've been putting a small amount of grain in my hand for her to nibble at instead of letting her pile around the feed pans with the other babies...this way I can watch her real close! There is absolutely no sounds in her lungs except air when I listen to her. I didn't start the antibiotic because she seems to be and is going to be just fine. Thank you for your concern.....Hope you have a Happy Easter.