PLZ...Help...prolapse

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by liz, Feb 5, 2008.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I had posted in the mini forum on my Tilly, not being "right" well last night she showed me the beginnings of a vaginal prolapse, couldn't get the vet out today because I had to be at the hospital with my mom. My mom had a heart attack yesterday( so far all is well) vet won't be here til tomorrow and Tilly has started pushing her rectum out too! I have been able to "flat hand " it back but what can I possibly do til the vet comes tomorrow???? I know it will get worse, I'm prepared for that, she is due 2-24. This is her 4th freshening and has never done this before.

2. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Wow she must be carrying a few in there. Maybe the babies have gotten in an off position and if they move around it might help her. I sure hope all is ok till the vet can check her out.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh liz I am not sure :hugs: so sorry you are dealing with this on top of the other issues!

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Just checked her and each time she stands up it goes back in. Its bugging me that she's also got hay stuck to it and it goes with the tissue, I do hope that the vet can be here in the morning cause not only do I want her treated ASAP, I need to be there when my mom comes home! HA was severe enough to scare us but caused minimal damage and an emergency heart catherization to plce a stint.

Tilly is no bigger than previous pregnancies, and she's always had 2. Any one deal with this before, is it as simple as cutting stitches when she goes into labor...I'm really scared !

5. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    I had a doe with a prolapse like that for 3 or 4 weeks and I did nothing as I was told as long as it goes back in when they stand there is no need for treatment. Mine kidded fine with twins.

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Theresa, Thank you, I feel a bit more at ease now, I am worried about infection because of the "debris" she's sucking in. Those kids still have a couple weeks to "cook" and I know that penicillian is safe for preggy does. I'll be on pins an needles til the vet see's her.

7. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I've been wondering if my Pots will prolapse. She's just extremely open when she lays around and first stands up, but her vulva closes up when she stands. Just looks weird as I've never had a doe have a prolapse or open vulva like this before. I hope she continues to progress without a full prolapse or anything and kids fine. I'm going to be there for Pots just in case she needs help, but she probably will be fine. Good luck!

8. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    My doe Tilda had a prolapse last year. It would go in on it's own at first but then started staying out even when she got up. We ran warm water over it to clean the debris off of it and put vasaline on it so it wouldn't dry out. We then purchsed a prolapse harness. We did not use the "spoon" then came with it we just used the harness and it kept it in good. Although the harness did get very smelley because when she peed the harness would sometiems block her and she would pee all over the harness!

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Vet came by this morning @10. Tilly of course, being the good little girl she is, sucked it back in! She got an epidural and a "purse string" stitch that will need snipped when she goes into labor. Vet advised Penicillian for 5 days and a flush tomorrow to wash anything that may be left dirt wise . Also, she won't be having anymore babies after this. Too much risk with the prolapse coming back. Vaseline IS NOT recomended as it doesn't break down, water soluable lube such as KY will break down and help "flush" any debris from the tissues.

10. mystic's_mom

mystic's_mom New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Northern, MN
    See if you can get a prolapse retainer from a local fleet supply, or even a vet clinic; just tell the clinic what you are seeing, and they should be able to give you one with out any problems! We always kept a couple on hand, especially with the mini goats. They can kid with it in, and prevents the prolapse, and thus any chance of infection due to foreign matter getting on the open vaginal wall.

The biggest concern with stiches is that you have to be there, in order to pull them out when the doe is going into labor, they can also tear before the doe even goes into labor...so I don't like stiching a doe shut to prevent the prolapse; the retainer is much safer.

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Liz, I just saw you post and I was going to say DO NOT USE VASELINE. I keep OB lube or KY around.
    As I am sure you know, you have to be there in case she delivers to get that suture cut. That is the only bad thing about those but they totally out weigh the risk withouth them.

I have also heard that if a Porlaps is to big to "put" back in, then wash it with wasrm water and pour suger over it. Yes I did say sugar. I that that I was reading things wrong when I read it. But that sugar reduces the swelling so it can go back in easier.

Liz how is your Mother doing? Prayers to a healthy recovery.

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I do know that I need to be available to do the snip of the suture, Doc told me I could even do it in 10 days or wait til she hits day 140 on the 19th. That way theres less chance for a tear and there would be enough scar tissue to support her. I too read about the sugar, thot it was a wierd thing to do, but then again we do other wierd stuff for our goats.

Thank you sweetgoats, my mom was discharged today and is recovering at home, doing allright just scared. Stent was put in and medication adjusted all is well so far.

13. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    That sounds like a good plan for your goat- stressful to have that happen and your Mom needing you too.
    I'm glad your Mom's doing OK too- it is so scarey.
    Good luck.

14. mystic's_mom

mystic's_mom New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Northern, MN
    Glad to hear your mom is out of the hospital!!! :cool:

15. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I'm glad to hear your mom is out of the hospital! :)