The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just started goat farming for a few months. My herd had 6 sheep and 9 goats. in last 1.5 month 3 of the goat died.

2 months ago PPR striked and due to proper medication it came under control in 15 days.
But after the PPR was gone one goat from the hers(mother of 2 goats) suddenly had foamy mouth, then bloated stomach and then died. 2 more goats died in similar way in 15 days gap.

I have attached photos of the goat that died today along with the post mortem pic of lungs.

please help regarding the matter, identify the problem and tell me how to prevent it in future.
8RXUzvOthyyUpFBwtUfMnrjKTOX.jpeg
IMG-20200316-WA0009.jpeg

·
I'm watching you
22,267 Posts
That's frothy bloat. You prevent it by not letting them eat weeds that cause it. The lungs are scared and may or may not have caused the death. The lungs could have been scarred by this outbreak or by many other conditions in the past.
I honestly don't know what PPR is meant to say?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's frothy bloat. You prevent it by not letting them eat weeds that cause it. The lungs are scared and may or may not have caused the death. The lungs could have been scarred by this outbreak or by many other conditions in the past.
I honestly don't know what PPR is meant to say?
PPR MEANS THE PLAGUE OF GOATS. Peste des petits ruminants (PPR).

Anyways, can frothy bloat lead to death or lungs damage?

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
Yes frothy bloat can lead to death. The goat is unable to burp up the gases and they basically suffocate while pressure of the bloat restricts heart and lungs.
What diet are you feeding..what's in their pasture?

Reactions: Trollmor

·
Super Moderator
83,097 Posts
I am so sorry for your losses.

Yes, frothy bloat can kill them, especially without treatment and you need to figure out the source.
They may be eating something toxic or you may be feeding them something.

If there are brush or weeds they are eating on, make sure they are not toxic or bloating plants.
Move the goats out of the area.
So no more become ill.
Consumption of lush legumes, clover, alfalfa, either in green feeds or as new hay. Recent turnout to legume pastures, wet grass pastures. Sudden access to grain?
https://goats.extension.org/goat-bloat/

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for helping me. I have looked i to the matter and found out that my goats grazed on a field that had weeds on it.

Steps that i took:

* tried to look for symptoms in other goats. all of them had normal temperature accept for one, which has fever and a bit loose stool. So i separated it from others gave him soda and fever med.

* But the new one has a swollen throat.

Now i am confused again.

This goat is of the same family.
8ZHiFlqDFwAVcmbUkKpRwBPVSvq.jpeg
8CJwAeGHCwoZNPRqHOwXTOjEHfi.jpeg

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
It sounds as if you have good control of your goats' heritage! :) Let me see, you have 6 goats and 6 sheep left? Any actual pregnancies? (Just to get a general impression of your flock, in order to make it easier for us to help you and your goats.)
Thank you all for helping me.
It is really a pleasure! :) In addition, we might learn something about goats in your country! :) Bangla Desh, is that not a rather wet place? Goats are originally from the mountains, and often get sick from moist. How is your place, wet or dry?

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
That looks like might be a goiter. Iodine deficiency can cause this. Do you have access to kelp? If you have iodine liquid, you can paint their tail.web. the under area of the tail with out hair. If the iodine is absorbed within 24 hours then you need to add it to their diet. Kelp will provide

Reactions: Trollmor

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,528 Posts
^ Happybleats gives good advice. ^
Certain weeds can cause iodine deficiency if fed in excess. Anything in the legume family can be goitrogenic (causes goiters). As well as plants high in nitrates can inhibit iodine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 4 y/o doe she’s like a pet a couple weeks ago she got worms we gave her the medicine thought she was doing better now she’s laying around and can not get up and lays completely on her side crying. Is there anything we can do?!?!?
She also just had baby’s that died from worms about a week before she got them.

*im not really sure how to use this website I’m just trying to find someone who may know somthing*

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,528 Posts
I have a 4 y/o doe she's like a pet a couple weeks ago she got worms we gave her the medicine thought she was doing better now she's laying around and can not get up and lays completely on her side crying. Is there anything we can do?!?!?

*im not really sure how to use this website I'm just trying to find someone who may know somthing*
It really would be better if you posted your own thread. You'll get better answers that way. There is a tab up at the top of the website that says "forums". You'll get a page with a lot of different headings. Scroll down to the one that is titled "health and wellness". Once you are there you will see a button that says "post new thread" and that's where you'll want to go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It really would be better if you posted your own thread. You'll get better answers that way. There is a tab up at the top of the website that says "forums". You'll get a page with a lot of different headings. Scroll down to the one that is titled "health and wellness". Once you are there you will see a button that says "post new thread" and that's where you'll want to go.
Thank you!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts