Plz...tell me

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by liz, Apr 19, 2009.

1. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The difference between the Chamoisee and Buckskin pattern in Nigerians.....I am very curious and so is Candy, examples and piccies would help us out too. If you check the kidding coral, Candy has 2 new babies and is not sure of the color pattern.

2. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    buckskin must have a black cape over teh shoulders, plus they have stipes on their face.

Light buckskin:
    [attachment=9:1zm6ekna]LJ.JPG[/attachment:1zm6ekna]
    [attachment=8:1zm6ekna]LJ2.JPG[/attachment:1zm6ekna]

Vice I believe is buckskin
    [attachment=7:1zm6ekna]Vice.jpg[/attachment:1zm6ekna]

Angie is a dark buckskin (some can be even darker - bucks tend to go all black and some does will as well)
    [attachment=6:1zm6ekna]Angie-Stacey.jpg[/attachment:1zm6ekna]
    [attachment=5:1zm6ekna]April 19th 008.jpg[/attachment:1zm6ekna]

Oberhalis doe and kids - chamoisee
    [attachment=4:1zm6ekna]IMG_1411.JPG[/attachment:1zm6ekna]

Zee - Chamois nigerian(chamois is how you say it for a buck I do believe for a doe it is chamoisee :shrug: )
    [attachment=3:1zm6ekna]100_5069.JPG[/attachment:1zm6ekna]
    Look closely at teh following pictures you can see he has a darker stripe down his back, plus darker legs (thats all that is required for a chamoisee)
    [attachment=2:1zm6ekna]100_5517.jpg[/attachment:1zm6ekna]
    [attachment=1:1zm6ekna]100_5522.jpg[/attachment:1zm6ekna]
    [attachment=0:1zm6ekna]100_5523.jpg[/attachment:1zm6ekna]

There is also a thread on here as someone else was asking for chamoisee pictures

Attached Files:

4. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Now I just read on someone's site, and this was surprise to me, but they said that if there is black on the belly it is Chamoisee, if not it is not. Now I don't know it if is true or not because my boy is listed as a chamoisee on his papers, but he does not have black.

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thanks! Very much appreciated :hug: Now to figure out the reason why Chief hsn't passed along his Black/white pattern.....especially wih Candy's girls....he did give me a b/w doeling out of Angel last year but with Katie and Kizzy, it seems that their pattern is more dominant. :shrug:

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    here is the thread Liz
    viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8486&hilit=chamoisee

I dont know about the black on the belly as I had some Oberhaslis that didnt have black bellies and Obers ONLY come in totaly black (does only) or chamoisee -- any other color pattern would be a mix.

yes Liz Chamoisee is very dominant

7. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I could be totally wrong. Like I said, I just read it on a site. Then again on another site I read that Maran Chickens are good talker like a parrot, so you can't always trust what you read on a site.

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    according to a site for color gentics it says "chamoisee, oberhalis color pattern: Tan with black belly, backstripe, lower legs and face. "

But I dont know if it is manditory that they have black bellies for a chamoisee color pattern.

I wouldnt know what to call Zee if not chamoisee :shrug:

Correction I think Vice would be a Sable or possible Bezoar "wild type" http://members.cox.net/foxcroft/genetics.htm

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
  10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the only reason I dont think he is chamoisee Sarah is that he never throws chamoisee kids and the chamooisee pattern is very dominant. He tends to throw that sable coloring or Black and Tans - broken with white.

11. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    This is Chamoisee...
    http://members.cox.net/foxcroft/images/image015.gif

The color can be a little more extenisve (in other words thicker markings) or it can be slightly less. Black breast collar, distinctive dorsel stripe, legs black from knees/hocks down and belly. Often has dark band on face, but also a lighter band.

This is Buckskin...
    http://members.cox.net/foxcroft/images/image018.gif

Cape over shoulders, can have small dorsel that fades to rump. Legs will have a black bar down the front of the leg ONLY. Black down neck, but lighter under neck.

I often seen people mark goats incorrectly. However, it is also seen that a goat can express two colors at one time and look like a washed out gold. Sometimes they really are just gold.

Here is a doe I use to own who also has a funny color. She expresses a lot of the chamoisee color pattern, but never produces them unless bred to a chammy buck. However, she does readily produce buckskin kids. She carries black as well.
    http://sweetgumminis.com/Petite_8-7-07.2.jpg

Her legs and underbelly are buckskin marked, yet she has the back and neck as well as face of a chammy. Go figure. LOL

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the problem is when they are kids you have to give a coloring and then when they grow up it changes - colors change, some fade some get more intense. But you really dont know what they are until they are bred and kid ...then what they produce tends to give you a better idea of what pattern they really are (but then again....those kids might change too ....). But as the artical states they can express two color patterns at once.....all very confusing :doh:

13. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Zee is a chanmoise, he looks a lot like my old buck buster. I dont know about the chamoisee's being dominant or not. My buck bueter threw nothing but chamoisees no matter what he was bred to. Then last year i bred ruby (a red chammy) to my buck fire (another red chammy) and they had a black doe kid.
    beth

14. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    So what color would you call my buck? He is listed on his papers as a Chammy.

[​IMG]

The first doe on his page is his daughter
    http://www.kaapioacres.com/Njdoes.html

Three of his other daughters are listed but not pictured, but all listed as gold and white.

A junor buck at the same far is by Mazi and he is listed as a very broken Light Tan Chamoise

15. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

He is a broken chamoise. the broken being the white band up his side. Chammys can have a "vest" the black marking going over their withers and down their shoulders. Its kind of like the cross on a donky or mule, and some buckskin horses. Chamoisees are any shade of brown. They can have white cream or black points. Some animals even have darker brown or red points. Lavender chamoisees have darker lavender points sometimes. They can br broken pied or belted. Chamoisee really is a very wide color description. This is why you usually add to ie: lavender chamoisee, red chamoisee with cream points, broken two tone chamoisee, belted chamoisee black trim.
    beth