The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our daughter took one of our does to the county fair in August, and a week after she came home every goat in our herd was coughing. Wormed, added electrolytes, changed all bedding and put down Sweet PDZ before the new straw. Two weeks later our senior buck got very sick and was dead in 24 hours. After that all our goats seemed fine but I did a round of penicillin for everyone anyways. Three days ago we noticed our other Nigerian buck gasping and rushed him to the vet, she gave him a bag of IV fluid, banamine and a Nuflor injection. He seemed to be getting better, then yesterday evening he suddenly died. I'm absolutely heartsick; we have new babies coming any day! I can't stand losing any more of our goats to this. I've heard of a mannheimia/pasturella vaccine, has anyone used it? In this case, would it be worth administering or should I not do it since the bug is already going? The vet's diagnosis was bacterial pneumonia made worse by hot humid days and cold nights.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I posted a question about the pnuemonia vaccine about a week ago. Not very many people on here use it, and I didn't get very many responses. I am still trying to decide whether to use it or not. Read a few places about goats dying after the vaccine...these were before the Colorado Serum people pulled it off the shelves, which I could never find a reason for...

·
Super Moderator
58,921 Posts
I've never used the vaccine. Is it getting cooler where you live? I would think the cooler weather would help. Are your kidding stalls in another area? If your pregnant girls got it and got over it, then they have immunities for it which should be passed on to the kids. But not sure how all that works.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's going to drop down into the 60's this weekend and stay there, it's been in the mid-80s during the day and the 40's at night for the last month. Our kidding stalls are in the same barn, but about 50ft away from where our most recent case was quarantined. I've got all the doors wide open today, hoping to flush germs. Our pregnant mama seems just fine, no cough at all or anything. The kids she's having belong to the buck we lost yesterday, so doe or not we'll be keeping one for sure! They're his only kids.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts