Pneumonia How do you treat it?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Frozenloc2, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Frozenloc2

Frozenloc2 New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Northern Maryland
    I'm so dissapointed cause I really hoped my new goat had lung worms instead of pneumonia. Along with her dry coughing, she's now snorkling a little with a tad bit runny nose. Pooh is normal, eating fine, and no temp as of yet. Do you treat adults? and with what? I have LA200 and penn but I don't want to poke her if not necessary. Can adult goats fix themselves? I'm sure the stress of moving didn't help her none. Can I supplement her with soemthing? I have selenium gel and nutri-drench. I gave her molasses water today to hopefully encourage her to drink more. Should I just keep a eye on her?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Unless her chest is rattling she could just have a simple cold - but yes it could be pneumonia.

I woudl give her the nutri drench and if you have VetRx put a few drops in her nose - that will help too.

Probios or simular will be good too especially if you do use antibiotics.

If you think it is pneumonia I would go straight to the LA 200 and not mess with the penicillin as it isnt' as effective. NOTE: LA 200 stings so she may scream bloody murder for a bit. Just rub the area and talk softly to her. I do believe it can be given SQ as well as IM

3. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    Poly Serum can also be used for colds. 3cc for kids, 5cc for does, 7cc for bucks. give day 1 and day 4. Personally, we don't give antibiotics if there's no fever unless the goat is already sick and not moving much and we are preventing pneumonia from setting in.