Pneumonia in Adults vs Kids

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by KentuckyBeth, Jul 10, 2020.

1. KentuckyBeth

KentuckyBeth New Member

Jul 4, 2020
    Kentucky
    Is there any significant difference in how interstitial pneumonia presents in a one-month-old kid? Other than dosage, is there a differential in how to treat?

2. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    In adults you sometimes see neck stretching when their breathing becomes labored. I haven't seen that happen in a kid. I have seen rib distortion in a kid due to the labored breathing.

Draxxin is my vets choice for pneumonia in young kids whereas I see Nuflor Gold more often recommended for adults.

To be honest I've only had 2 adult cases and 1 kid case in about ten years. Lost both adults, they were over 8 years old, and I feel I did not treat aggressively enough.

NigerianDwarfOwner707 likes this.

3. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    :nod::up:Yes I would always say Draxxin for kids - Nuflor or Tylan 200 for adults.

4. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    With kids, that really just don’t feel good for any reason, I usually just start them on SQ fluids because they seem to get dehydrated a lot faster then adults when they are sick and not drinking like they should.
    I can only get nuflor so they are all treated with that, with pneumonia more often then not I save them although I did have a few years ago that ended up with scaring in the lungs and had a lingering cough but never bothered them. They were adult does

5. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Draxxin is a good choice since its 2 shots, 7 days apart, and hits the lungs directly, which makes it a good first place to start to protect the lungs, it is pricey though..however per my vet and experience, you may need another antibiotic between those two shots if there is still fever 24 hours after first Draxxin shot. I use Nuflor for both adult and kids. I have had good results for both.

6. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Not to Hijack, but, what is the Nuflor dosage? It's been quite awhile since I used it, just got a new bottle. Thanks

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Nuflor is 6 cc’s per 100lbs the initial shot, then 3 cc’s there after.

8. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    How close apart with the next dose after the first shot of Nuflor ? 3 days?

9. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    For nuflor I do 3 cc per 100# for 5-7 days. Never skip.a day.

toth boer goats likes this.