The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Member
Joined
·
8,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wrote about this doe about 2 weeks ago. She had pneumonia, I gave her penicillin (4 days), then went to bio-mycin (4 days) and when all that didn't work, I called the vet. We have a new vet that does farm calls and seems to know about goats.

She came out Friday, looked at all my notes of what was given, when and said that I had done all the right things. Since the doe was pretty much dried up (just kidded 3 weeks ago) from her illness, she wanted to give her an antibiotic that was good for 4 days. "Excede LA/EQ". She also prescibed Dexamethasone - a steroid to help the lungs, I guess.

I had been giving her Vit. B Complex, Goat Power Punch and syringing (60 cc at a time) 1 qt. of water every 4-6 hrs.

Fast forward to last night. Her 2 bottle babies had to be sold, I have a family emergency out of state and can't find anyone to come and feed 3-4 times a day. The doe is down, I can't get her up- she won't eat, won't drink and groans all the time.

All this was written to ask one question. Is it wrong to put her down? I have a guy that will feed and milk for me, but he won't have time to dribble water down her throat all the time. I really think she is too far gone to come back. I feel terrible, I am very fond of this doe, raised her from a baby, she has thrown beautiful twin doelings each time and is only 3 yrs. old. (and a registered Am. Alpine)

But, if she gets better, she will have no milk and will stand around and eat for another year before she kids again- if she ever gets back in condition to even be bred.

I usually don't get too stressed out, but with this sick doe, giving up my bottle kids and my mom in really bad shape (pancreatic cancer)- I am not making real good decisions right now. Thanks for any advice.
 

·
Crazy Goat Lady
Joined
·
4,324 Posts
OMgosh, talk about a "rock and a hard place". You poor dear.

Of course, you are the "herdsman", you have to decide when she's had enough. She will tell you...if she still has fight in her...maybe one of your vets "techs" will care for her? I can't tell you how to treat this doe...I've only seen pneumonia once and a round of antibiotics cured that. I would worry about Polio...do you have thiamine?

When do you have to leave? I certainly wish I could help you. Prayers for you and your girl.
 

·
Member
Joined
·
8,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have to leave first thing tomorrow morning- (Tues.). I really have no one that will treat her- and I hate to leave her suffering so....
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
82,041 Posts
Here is an idea, don't know if you can do it or not but, is there any way, to ask the vets office to try to save her there and board her for you, until you come back? She will have a better chance at making it there, but of course too, she might not.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
58,067 Posts
I would get Draxxin in her. The vet should have some. If you can take her to the vet and board her there, see if they will give her Draxxin.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top