The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A few days ago I lost my herd buck to pneumonia. :( I check on my goats daily & he was fine all week & even the day before I noticed he was sick. He was only 2 years old, in perfect health... he was eating, drinking, ect. acting normal. He wasn't skinny or showing signs of a runny nose, coughing, or anything like that. When I first noticed he was sick I noticed he was wobbly/weak when he walked & I saw a little foam/slobber at his mouth. The vet came immediately. He took his temp which was 104 & he listened to him breathe. He said he had pneumonia & that there wasn't anything we could have done to prevent it or to save him, but he gave him 2 shots anyway & we gave him another shot a few hours later. He died the very next morning. I couldn't believe that happened so fast. Fine one day, dead the next. I keep blaming myself, but I don't know if there was anything I could have done. It was a little over 100 degrees those days & humidity was bad, maybe it was caused by that? Now I am worried about all of my does that were living with him, do you think they will be okay? Is there anything I can do to prevent it from happening again? What are some other signs I need to look? The vet said it's just one of those bad things that happens & that I couldn't do anything about it. He said he has seen it many times. I don't know how I could have saved him when he was fine one day & died the next, it was too fast to even treat. I'm so heart broken. This makes me want to stop raising goats :(

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am so, so sorry to hear this! My sincere sympathy. I have no advice as we are new to goats (2 weeks) and have been dealing with diarrhea in one of ours - 11 week old pygmy. Every time we go to check her I fear the worst. We already love our girls and I can only imagine how sad you must be right now. Seems like goats are so fragile sometimes, and can get worse so fast! You did all you could, I'm sorry!

·
2,203 Posts
We had this nasty strain of pneumonia run through my dairy herd. Lost 6 heifers and 2 cows in a week.

Devastating loss, I feel you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts