The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a young doeling, about 5 months old. I have just finished treating her for pneumonia with my vets help for the third go round. The last medication was Nuflor, every other day for three doses.
The cough will not go away. It is remarkably better, however, and she has no fever, stools are normal, and the two other goats are well.
I really don't think treating again with an antibiotic will be a good idea. I live in Wyoming, which is a dry climate, although this summer has had several weeks of unusual humidity, and cool nights.
If you have had this experience, could you fill me in on what you did and how it resolved itself?
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
58,910 Posts
Third time my 5 month old came down with pneumonia, we did Draxxin. I would highly recommend doing 2 shots of Draxxin for a full 14 day coverage. Only thing that worked for my girl. She has been pneumonia free since.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I have a young doeling, about 5 months old. I have just finished treating her for pneumonia with my vets help for the third go round. The last medication was Nuflor, every other day for three doses.
The cough will not go away. It is remarkably better, however, and she has no fever, stools are normal, and the two other goats are well.
I really don't think treating again with an antibiotic will be a good idea. I live in Wyoming, which is a dry climate, although this summer has had several weeks of unusual humidity, and cool nights.
If you have had this experience, could you fill me in on what you did and how it resolved itself?
Thanks.
Get some Draxin. 2 doses of 1.5 cc's 10 days apart. Do not let your vet talk you into the usual 14 days because goats metabolism is faster than a cows and the drug works out of her system faster than a cows. Where in southeastern Wyoming are you?

For the record - Nuflor should be given at 3 cc's/100 lbs for 5 consecutive days.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Get some Draxin. 2 doses of 1.5 cc's 10 days apart. Do not let your vet talk you into the usual 14 days because goats metabolism is faster than a cows and the drug works out of her system faster than a cows. Where in southeastern Wyoming are you?

For the record - Nuflor should be given at 3 cc's/100 lbs for 5 consecutive days.
I am in Hillsdale, east of Cheyenne. You?
Being new to goats, I have never used Nuflor before. Our cows are rarely sick so I have only used LA 200 with them. The vet prescribed and loaded the Nulfor into pre-dosed syringes for me. I was glad that I am not new to giving shots...she loaded them with needles that were way too small for the thick liquid. I used my own needles after the first shot was so painful for my little one. The second and third doses went much better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts