Pocket in Foreudder??

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by capriola-nd, Oct 16, 2008.

1. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I know Honey's udder is very far from being perfect. . . . I was looking at some pics of pockets in foreudders and Honey's foreudder (which I thought she had a "pocket") doesn't look like those does. This pic isn't so great but maybe you can get an idea, she's drying up now but I can try to get another one soon.
    Is this a pocket but just a small one? I know her foreudder does not blend smoothly but I'm just wondering if this is an actual pocket. Thanks in advance!! :D

[​IMG]

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Do you have a bigger picture? It would be easier to tell.

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Yep, this should be bigger. . . . sorry about the fuzzy udder! ;)

[​IMG]

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I don't think she does :)

5. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    SWEET!!! Yippeee!! :D :clap: :stars: I know there is still a lot of improvement needed on her udder (a lot!) but that makes me happier knowing that she probably doesn't have a pocket. Thanks! :D

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I do see a bit of a pocket. How old is she? on young does it may not be there at all but you may find that as she matures and gains more capacity each freshening you will see more of one. For now i would call it a short foreudder, But you can see how the tissue on her udder actually juts out a little further then where her udder meets her belly. I had one doe last year that as a yearling had a flawless foreudder. this year she had a pocket. It happens. Even though the foreudder is worth more on the score card, i see most judges put more empathis on the rear udder attachment. by no means is a short foreudder a reason to get rid of a doe, the rest of her udder looks quite nice.
    beth

7. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    She is almost three years and this was her third freshening (she kidded as a yearling and was bred back soon after kidding by her previous owner).

Yeah, I can see that. . . . it's frustrating but her overall conformation and dairy character is super nice, so I have to work on the udder. . . .

8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

it is frustrating but for me thats half the fun of breeding, hunting for bucks to improve these things. I m ALWAYS on the lookout for a new buck whether i need one or not. I just put a deposit on a buck kid fro next year and my herd is living over four hundred miles from me! I just couldnt pass on this breeding though.
    beth

9. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    That is so very true. :) Do you think that the pocket will get more noticeable as she matures and freshens??

Now I'm looking at Marilyn Monroe (at Poppy Patch) again and thinking what a lovely smooth foreudder she has. . . . I want a new buck soon! Hard part is waiting. . . .

10. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Could it be a shelf? Its hard to tell from that angle.

11. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Okay, this is going to sound silly but what is a shelf?? :oops: I've heard of it before but never had the chance to ask anyone what exactly it is. . . . is a "shelf" bad?

12. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

a shlef is in moderation a pocket but smaller. Do you have any pictures of her udder from the side?
    It may or may not get worse with age. In my experience it does because as they gain more capacity it emphasized. However i have heard other breeders say wait a year let her freshen again and see how it looks then.
    beth

13. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I don't have any pics of her side udder - she's drying up already (not milking her because she's not friendly). Here is a pic of another goat, Honey's side udder looks exactly like this doe. . . . Honey's teats aren't as long though & she doesn't have quite that capacity but her side udder looks the same.

14. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

it looks like it may develope into a pocket as she gets older. that doe apears to have a short foreudder. meaning it ends abrulptly and quite further back then it should, rather then being long and smoothly blended into the belly. The foreudder can be one of the hardest things to fix (from my own personal experience) Its just one of those thigngs that you have to keep breeding up and trying out new bucks to fix.
    beth

15. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Well, this is going to be fun. :roll: ;) Beth, do you think it would be best for me to get a buck from Poppy Patch, probably one from Marilyn Monroe? She has a really nice foreudder, right? Looks good to me. . . . and she's being bred to Rebel, he throws awesome kids with great udders, from what I've seen.

16. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Her fore udder is nice. there are a couple of does on their site that are better in that department. I would find all the pictures you can of does sired by the buck she is out of. Look at the consistancy os the foreudder he has thrown. Then take a look at their dam, how much of an improvement do you see? one of the biggest thing with any buck (in my opinion) is the consistancy he has thrown, because you have one great doe out of twenty decent does what do you think the likelyhood of him throwing another great daughter is for you? I know its tough to tell on a non existant buck that you dont have yet. But one way to look at that is look at the does that you plan on aquairing your next sires from sisters. Out of the same buck. Suposedly the buck is either going to throw his dam or gran dams type. Take a loot at his sisters as well. I usually put more on his relitives then i do on the doe herself. though that is important too. If you can take a look at her dam and her grand dam. Do yu see improvements?
    hope this helps!
    i know it can be really confusing
    beth

17. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Okay, so I've found several freshened does sired by The Full Monty:

Betty Boop (awesome foreudder!)
    Kiss Me Kate (they said they'd like to see a little more extension to the fore)
    Marilyn Monroe (quite nice, I thought)
    Ginger Rogers (looks quite nice but not an up-close photo)
    Daisy Mae (looks nice enough; can't really tell from pic)
    Lil Miss Sunshine (very nice udder!!)
    Pippin (they said very smooth fore and well-extended)

They just rave about his sister Striptease - I can't tell for sure on her foreudder, maybe you can help me a bit on that??? She's at the bottom of their senior does page. Her udder looks nice to me but could the fore blend a little more smoothly?

This is a quote from the Poppy Patch site on Monty:

The buck that Marilyn is going to be bred to, Rebel W/O a Cause *S is super nice and has consistently thrown daughters with nice udders and great MSL's (something we could fix in some of our does). He has two CH daughter and several that have earned their "stars" for milk production.

So, that's what I got. . . . .

18. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Okay, just found a grand-daughter of Monty up in the Silver Aurora herd in Alaska. I LOVE this doe, her udder is so, so awesome to me! :D Here's a quote from their site on her achievements:
    Here's a pic of her udder with 12 hours of milk.

19. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    there is a breeder who has two daughters out or rebel here in ca..
    http://www.castlerockfarm.net/srdoes.html

the daughters are on the sr does page and are poppy and lupine. i plan on getting my next buck here in two years

she also has grandaughters