The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
This is fantastic news!! Keep up the ammonium chloride treatments for a while. You want to make sure any more stones he might have are dissolved. Then make sure he gets some regularly. Review his diet and and see if there's anything that could be causing stones to form. I'm so happy for this outcome! It is very rare for UC to resolve from home remedies when a goat is as blocked up as yours was for as long as he was. I'm so happy for you and Poe!!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Am I able to add AC regularly to the goats water to help prevent stones from forming? Or will that cause issues with my other goats since they share water?

·
Premium Member
4,629 Posts
Am I able to add AC regularly to the goats water to help prevent stones from forming? Or will that cause issues with my other goats since they share water?
Individual dosing def of poe is the best way since he has issues. And really for them all. That way they get the correct dosage. You can sprinkle it on pellet if everyone stays at their feed dish.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I don't think you can put enough ammonium chloride in the water to keep Poe safe. In fact, you really shouldn't add it to the water at all. It's very bitter even in small amounts so it can discourage them from drinking enough water, which will in turn contribute to bladder stones. You're better off disguising it in feed or treats, or drenching it with a syringe and a lot of Gatorade or Jell-o powder to sweeten it.

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
Wow..im so happy to hear this!! Damfino is correct..a recovery like this is rare ...good job!!

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
He may have reoccurring issues. Diet change and UC will be needed. If you ever have a chance to get a stone sample..have it tested to kniw what he is dealing with and be able plan his diet accordingly.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
He may have reoccurring issues. Diet change and UC will be needed. If you ever have a chance to get a stone sample..have it tested to kniw what he is dealing with and be able plan his diet accordingly.
He doesn't get any grain and gets a hay that is like a grass mix. His water supply comes from a creek that flows down from the mountain. It only happens to him and not my wethers.

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
Yummy water!!!
maybe he needs a little alfalfa? Up his calcium?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
His water supply comes from a creek that flows down from the mountain.
Does he drink from the creek or a bucket?
Maybe some warm water would encourage him to drink more

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,280 Posts
Can you get the water tested to see what the mineral and hardness is? I would also get pH strips to test his urine. Was he castrated very young? Any odd plants that he forages on? I don’t want to assume it’s just phosphorus related and add calcium which would cause a bigger issue... at the very least you can start with kelp for a small, mild safe form of calcium.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
He’s still intact. And it only effects him and none of my wethers. Where could I get ph strips from? He has been straining to pee again and this time medicine hasn’t been helping. I have tried massage as well. I’m gonna bring him inside and try some warm compresses. Since his pizzle has already been snipped there isn’t much the vet can do. They said he could have something wrong with his kidneys if it keeps happening only to him.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts