The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to build my goat's fence around this tree. Is it poisinous to goats? They won't be able to eat the leaves. They are too high for them to reach. Thanks! :D

Attachments

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
That's either big leaf maple, silver maple, or red maple. I need 3 more things. A close up picture of the bark, a large sized leaf compared to your hand, and if you crush up a leaf does it smell bad?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's either big leaf maple, silver maple, or red maple. I need 3 more things. A close up picture of the bark, a large sized leaf compared to your hand, and if you crush up a leaf does it smell bad?
I attached three close up pictures if the bark. It looks kinda spongey when you look at it in person. The leaf picture was the biggest leaf I could reach, and when I crunched up the leaf and smelled it, it didn't smell bad at all. It smelt very green! Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
goathiker is very knowlegable hopefully she can identify it. There is also a (not sure if you are on FB) group for plant identification with a pretty 'in the know' group of people. I don't think I can post the link here- if you are interested you can PM me.

·
14,615 Posts
Maple in general is not poisenous but GoatHiker has the final word on yours.
If you dont want the bark stripped off it's going to need to be wrapped in chicken wire or something.

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
That looks very much like Silver maple. This time of year a Red Maple would have clusters of red fruit or blossoms. That's how you can tell the difference, a Red Maple always has something red on it, fruit, flowers, or leaves.

The spongie stuff on the bark is Reindeer Lichen, that will lead your goats to strip the tree. Wrapping it in chicken netting works very well to keep trees alive around the little beasts.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That looks very much like Silver maple. This time of year a Red Maple would have clusters of red fruit or blossoms. That's how you can tell the difference, a Red Maple always has something red on it, fruit, flowers, or leaves.

The spongie stuff on the bark is Reindeer Lichen, that will lead your goats to strip the tree. Wrapping it in chicken netting works very well to keep trees alive around the little beasts.
Thanks so much! So if they eat the bark or leaves it won't hurt them (even thought I'll probably put chicken wire around it)?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts