I have 2 wild cherry trees and a lot of oak trees in my back pasture. A friend told me if my goats eat the leaves of the cherry and the acorns from the oaks they will die. Is this true??? :horse:
I just checked the fiascofarm.com website, it says Choke Cherry leaves (wilted, or fed in "abundance"). Oak leaves are on the OK list, don't know about the acorns, but I'm sure someone will enlighten us soon. My extension agent said most of the time goats eat small amounts to "taste" them, the steer clear of the bad stuff because it tastes bad, but not sure of his experience with goats.
If oak trees and acorns are poisonous then my goats should be dead! They eat acorns like treats when they fall. They go straight to the oat trees when they get out. So dispite seeing them on the poisonous list I have yet to find someone to have a goat have adverse reactions from oak or acorns.
The cherry trees have a date with my chainsaw. I checked out the list of bad plants at the link sent and I will not be planting some of the plants I put into my flower beds next year. My goats dont come into my yard but I do not want to take a chance. I pulled up all my yews when I got miniature horses.
The cherries are only poisonous when wilted, like when a branch breaks off in a storm. They are fine when they fall off naturally in the fall, or if eaten fresh (though maybe not in abundance). So, be careful when you cut them down and make sure that nobody eats the wilted leaves. If they are in a place where you can't keep your animals away for awhile, you might wait until winter when there are no leaves- those little leaves are hard to rake up when you cut down a tree!
It is frustrating that some trees can kill our animals, I have a horse and three goats and my property is filled with wild cherry, black walnut, holly, and tons of other stuff on the poison list. However, I have found that they tend to stay away from the bad stuff- keeping my fingers crossed!