The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
herd: 2 billies 9 nannies ~ 1 doe expecting ~ 2 we
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has grazed their goats in/around poison ivy?
I know they won't have a reaction to it...
Just wondering since I recently found a giant patch of it near some beautiful wild roses...
I was hoping they would clear a path so I could get access to the roses...they would be inaccessible to the goats (mostly)
Thoughts?

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Yep, goats can browse on poison ivy & poison oak. It does not affect them like it does humans. Our neighbors have their two wethers clearing huge bushes of it for them, and the goats love it!

·
Registered
30,643 Posts
just be aware if you handle them you will be touching the poison ivy...I got poison ivy after doing my biys hooves...not fun!! :D

·
1,524 Posts
Before I built the new barn, my milkers would always get into the poison ivy every year. Not knowing it, i would milk them and got poison ivy on my hands, arms and legs, every place I touched them when milking or they touched me just by being around them.

Goats love poison ivy.

·
Registered
30,643 Posts
I have to figure out how to get them to graze it and not get it from them
...they tend to really get inthere and get it on them all over! But if you figure it out..be sure to share!!

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Yes ! Definitely share, lol I won't go near my girls when they get into that stuff ! And if they come over for a scratch , I actually run away from them , lolol I can only imagine whats going through their minds when they come over all friendly and stuff looking for love and I run yelling stay away , go , get , get away !! :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Does anyone know how to get it off the goats?:confused: I am pretty sure my case of poison ivy is from my goats. It keeps spreading even though I have not been in contact with any plants. I nudged my wether out of the way this AM with my leg, and now I am seeing little red dots! :eek:UGH! I know it can stay on dogs coats, so obviously goats too! It is either on the goats or in their hay! I wore a long shirt to do hay this am and don't remember any touching my leg.

Thanks for any ideas!;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts