The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning at 12:30am my dad discovered one of my aprox. 5month old pygmy cross buckling in the goat shed, unable to get up (even with help he could not put his feet underneath him), bleating, grinding his teeth, and having muscle tremors. Also, he had difficulty breathing and I can see the top part of his eye (I really don't know what to call it---it looks like a membrane--but I just can't think what it's called) is blue-gray.

I really had no idea what to do...so I just bit my lip and left him. I expected to find him dead this morning. He wasn't. He almost looks better. He's able to get up on his feet, but he's exhausted and shaky. He's still got that upper-eye membrane thingy showing. I don't see any muscle tremors, but he is still grinding his teeth.

Yesterday, the whole herd was let out from their relatively dry-pasture to an area that is full of all their favorite foods. Could he have eaten something?

Please help!

Froggy

·
Super Moderator
58,870 Posts
You can give him some activated charcoal. I would give him a shot of banamine. Was he vaccinated for CDT? Some CD antitoxin wouldn't hurt along with b complex and probios.

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
I agree..give him C D Antitoxin..grinding of teeth is gut pain..I would also give him Fortified B complex or Thiamine
get a temp on him to see if he is runny a fever ( 101.5-103.5 is normal range)..

they eye thing may mean his eyes are sunken in?? if so he is severely dehydrated..offer him electrolytes if he wont drink then drench...

Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses(or what you have on hand or honey)
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts