The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made this thread for anyone with questions about whether a plant is poisonous or not

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
My goats love my azaleas, esp the flowers. I read somewhere that they are poisonous but I havent seen any bad effects in my goats. Anyone know if azaleas are bad?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Azaleas are considered highly toxic. But, my goats got to mine and ate them like candy! No one had any problems, thank goodness, but after that I went and pulled up every single azalea I had in my yard! Might as well not tempt fate! lol!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Goats should avoid highly poisonous plants

Generally animals will avoid highly toxic plants because they also smell bad to them. Some things are toxic in larger quantities and/or if eaten over a longer period of time. My goats go out to graze but always come back to barn for an evening meal of hay and grain which dilutes whatever they have eaten during the day. Goats are so well designed for this because they naturally move around often while browsing so in a relatively good pasture they are always eating variety....don't you just love goats!

·
1,524 Posts
Rhododenrons and Azaleas are supposed to be deadly, but mine have demolished mine and never had so much as a stomach ache. Ditto for lilacs.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Ok well, Im not ripping up the azaleas. I have like 200. I have run with my hands flailing and they do run away. My goats are so picky. They even like a particular brand of animal cracker!!! LOL
I will keep them away from the azaleas.
gheesh

1 - 11 of 11 Posts