Poisonous plant question...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by TNP, Oct 2, 2009.

1. TNP

TNP New Member

Sep 26, 2009
    I am hearing two opposite things about oak tree leaves and acorns. Some say they're highly poisonous to goats, others say they are harmless. Anyone know? I'm concerned because I have oak trees on the property, and lots of acorns. There is no way to keep the goats out of the falling oak leaves and acorns, because they're all over the place. My neighbor has lots of goats and some oak trees too, and he hasn't had a problem yet. His goats browse the entire wooded area.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Too many will make them sick....most goats will stop at their limit.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Never had a problem with acorn or oak leaves being poisonous. I live in the pine barrons of NJ -- the only thing that grows here is Pine and Oak. Goats LOVE LOVE LOVE the leaves and OH MY they go nuts for the acorns. I never limit them and in 13 years I have never had a goat get sick.

It can upset their digestive track giving them the runs (from what i hear) but thats only if they are not use to it -- and even then some goats are fien even if it is a sudden additive to their diet.

4. TNP

TNP New Member

Sep 26, 2009
    I'm so relieved to hear that! Thanks!

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree... it is OK..... :wink: :greengrin:

6. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Never had a problem with oak in my last place, and it was their favorite.

7. TNP

TNP New Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Thanks! They discovered the oak leaves for the first time today, when some blew into their kennel, and they went nuts over them. This weekend they'll start having run of the property to browse during the day. Maybe I won't have to rake leaves this year. :greengrin: