The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Rose Creek Acres
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm located in MN and we are looking at buying some hay. The one farmer we talked to warned us about fox tail being located in his hay. I have seen cases of sore mouth and illness from this plant in the west but I don't see any of that in my area. Does anyone know if it is bad all together or if there are just different types...what are plants that goats cannot have? Your thoughts are much appreciated. :) Thanks. :kidblack:

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
There are a number of different types of fox tail. Barley fox tail is ok until it develops seed heads, then it can make their mouths sore. Most animals won't eat it if it has seed heads. The worst thing about fox tail in hay is that it is a noxious plant and spreads. Giant fox tail is ok for them to eat. As far as I know it won't cause any kind of problems. Those are the only two varieties I am familiar with, though. As far as poisonous plants go, here is a list. I have no idea whether it is all inclusive, though.

http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/goatlist.html

·
Registered
165 Posts
Gifblaar is a problem for ruminants, if they eat them and then drink water. That will almost certainly kill your animal. The tricky thing is the green leaves show up early during the dry season teasing animals to eat them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts