The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any trees that can kill goats, I know there are plants but I am worried about trees :) Thanks in advance

·
14,615 Posts
Fruit trees with pits; when the leaves dry are toxic.
Holly trees.
They are the only ones I can think of right now cause we have holly around.

·
376 Posts
I was wondering about green persimmons... does anyone know if they are toxic?

Kramsay You want to keep any grazing animals away from scarlet maple and cherry trees... I've read that 1 pound of cherry leaves will kill a horse... not sure about a goat but I'm betting it wouldn't be good for them. I know there are more but I can't think of them at the moment.

My problem is there are trees and plants here that I can't identify and the extension service hasn't been much help. I want to fence in our woods for the goats but haven't got a clue what's toxic and what's not out there.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would apple or peach trees hurt them..

Cheyenne, cherry trees is what I was worried about. My mom had said they would kill cows, and horses.. but didn't know about goats.. Does any one have a good picture to show what a wild cherry tree looks like (leaves) I am not for sure :)

No clue what a scarlet maple is lol.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So cherry trees will hurt them ?

·
376 Posts
I had my husband cut one of those down before I turned my goats loose in that field. He didn't want to do it but I was pretty sure it was a choke cherry. I figure any kind of cherry tree is bad.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts