The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doe got polio and I started treating her today with 500 mg thiamine hydrochloride after I took her to the vet. She is blind but has recover her strength quickly and can stand and walk. Is the blindness permanent if not how long does it take to go away?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My doe got polio and I started treating her today with 500 mg thiamine hydrochloride after I took her to the vet. She is blind but has recover her strength quickly and can stand and walk. Is the blindness permanent if not how long does it take to go away?

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
her eye site should recover..seems to be the last symptom to recover from. Good job on fast actions. Be sure to give the thiamine for a full 24 hour clock after she is 100% better..then I prefer to ween off. Go every 8 hours, then every 12, then once a day. if she does well on once a day then stop

I would be giving 1 full cc every 6 hours of 500mg thiamine. the Larger dose gives the full 500mg at one and should help speed her recovery.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I usually give more thiamine than that but if it’s working, good!

My doe took I think a week to get any vision back, and progressively got more back for another couple months. It’s been almost two years and she would seem normal to most people, but she is still off. She has very little depth perception is the main issue, so if we open a gate that normally isn’t open, she can’t see that it’s open unless we open it completely so that she can’t see it from where she is. Getting on and off the milk stand was ugly at first but she has figured it out. However, anything else that she doesn’t know the height of is extremely challenging. Like when we weighed her back in May-she wouldn’t take the two inch step onto the scale, but lifted her hoof and stamped and swung it until she made connection with the scale and realized how short it was. Then she climbed on just fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts