polio maybe??? I lost her

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by dobe627, Dec 12, 2009.

1. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    First thanks liz and stacey for trying to help. I am not 100% sure what is wrong with my Dixie but polio is what me, liz, stacey and vet think. I know there is probalby info on here but I couldn't find it.
    Ok, Dixie is a 9 month old pygmy doe. I got her in August. She has seemed fine until yesterday afternoon(friday). Thur seemed fine, ate her grain was with herd all of the good stuff. Friday was pretty chilly here. But in am seemed ok. About 3:00 had to go to post office as I was driving by all the goats except Dixie were at the Gate waiting to get out to free range( normal). Dixie was standing just outside one of the huts kind of hunched up like she was cold but not too bad that I stopped, thought she would be ok for 5 minutes. Got back and she was on the ground, Head turned back towards left side, back legs stiff. So I grabbed her and ran for my grooming shop, where all my meds are plus it was heated. Her temp was 101.9. Eyelids nice and dark pink. Paniced and called liz, texted Stacey and called vet( out on farm call). So got some b-comples into her. Put her undersome towels. Breathing ok. Vet called, was out but thought it could be polio too. So said he would have a bottle of thiamine waiting for me. Went and got it. His instructions were 1.5cc every 6 hours iv if I could if not the any other way(im or sub-q). Well stacey said she would give about 4 ccs. So she had the 1.5 then about hour or so later gave her other dose. About 20 minutes after that her head was straigher and she was trying to stand, back legs were now flexable. She made it through the night. Tried to give her nutri drench and some water. Gave her some sub q fluids. Just had her 4th shot of thimaine. Oh also has me doing 3ccs of penicllian, once a day. She does seem better but hasn't eaten, doesn't seem to want to drink, like she can't swallow. What should I do????? If any suggestions you can call me at 717-870-8862, Will come back and erase my number. thanks. It may not look like I am checking but I will be( just sometimes don's sign on).

2. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    Re: polio maybe???

Vit D can not hurt. Sorry I can not tell you how much to give (I know more about cattle then goats). But I would give her some. It just helps support body fuctions.

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

I'd be giving the penG twice a day. What is the concentration of your thiamine?

4. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA

I would have to go out and check, I just know it says Thiamine and is a 100ml bottle without going to look. Only ingredient are the thiamine, and an agent. will go out and check though. How much pen twice a day?

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

If it isn't the long lasting penG then I give 1cc per 10 or 20 lbs(depends upon severity of infection) twice a day for 5-7 days.

What I'd want to know is how many mg/ml of thiamine there are.

Like fortified B-complex is usually 100mg/ml of thiamine and I give an easy 6 ccs of that to an adult goat. So that is 600mg of thiamine. I've even given that much to a kid.

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

She's getting better...that is a good sign. The pen dose would be 1cc per 20lbs and can be given sub q.......now, with the antibiotic you will need to get some probiotics into her...paste would be good but you can use the water soluble and syringe it to her.

Lysterosis can also be a factor, but with her age it is unlikely as it mostly will affect older goats. I mention this because both the polio and the lysteria have the same type of symptoms.

I truly hope that she recovers fully for you :hug:

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Goat Medicine suggests Thiamine at 10mg/kg(2.2lbs) repeated every 6 hours for 24 hours.

Yes i would give her some probios like Liz said.

8. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA

ok, the thiamine is 20 mg/ml. I am giving her 4 ccs, every 6 hours. I do have probiotic paste will go give it to her now. How do I know if the pen is long lasting? got it at TSC, can't see where it says on the bottle. Just says "pen-aqueas. procane pen G, 30,000.
    Yes I do see an improvement, it is alot better as I mentioned a little after her shot of thiamine. She can stand if I help her up, she can stay on her own but can't walk really well. She is staying sternally, not laying on her side. And her eye seems reactive to me( she's blind in the other).

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

If she is an 40lbs goat then she needs 182mg every six hours.

The pen G you have isn't long lasting, so twice a day with that one.

10. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California

I had a pygmy buck with polio last year. When I fed in the a.m. I thought he was stiff from arthritis (he's older) b/c he wasn't walking very well. 8 hours later, when I did my p.m. feed he was seemed very rigid,and then he started to roll this head back (classic stargazing). I gave him banamine and B complex and could see, within an hour, some improvement. He did recover completely, but I was shocked at how quickly it hit him... Good luck and keep us posted!

11. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA

oops meant 200mg/ml on the thiamine( thanks ashley for letting me know). I am definatly seeing an improvement but can not entice her to eat. If I get her up she will stand. What are the other signs and treatment for listeroses?

12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
  13. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA

Well Dixie is still with us today. But not sure for how long. She seems better, it took minimal effort from me to get her to stand this morning and she stayed up ok( head still bent back) while I changed her towels. She pooed, solid pellets, it was a good handful I would say of pellets( didn't actually pick them up). That was only the second poo since about 11am yesterday. She seemed to want to eat and drink, but doesn't seem to be able to chew or swallow. She's not grinding her teeth but her temp has come down( that worries me). It was 100.6 a few minutes ago. Offered her leaves, parsley, romaine, spinich. And like I said perked up, took them into her mouth but then nothing. Still gave her the thiamine and pen. Tried the vit b orally but it just came back out, she may have gotten some. Tried the probiotic gel, think she got a little of that too. Tried massaging her throat, don't feel anything. I really don't know what to do for her at this point. And of course its sunday so no vet. Oh and gave her 60ccs of subq fluids. She did maaaa at me when I went in this morning. I just don't want her to suffer. Open to suggestions,

14. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

I would keep up with the Sub Q Fluids. Can you tube her? If so I would make up some really watery oatmeal with nutridrench and a little b-complex, and probios. I'd also make up a mixture of Molasses or karo, whiskey and black coffee in 3 equal parts. Give her 3cc's every half hour until temp starts to come up.

Are her ears and/or extremities cold?

15. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

IF her temp is down to 100 her rumen will shut down. While she needs the antibiotic to kill the bad bacteria that's making her sick, it also kills the good stuff she needs to process her feed. Are you giving her probios also? Our feed store sells a bolus for cattle that contains 40 billion live bacteria for the gut. They are a little pricey at [email protected]$10 but it gets the good bacteria down where its needed all at once. IF nothing else, can you steal a cud from another goat? Both goats will need to be together as the cud is not viable more than a couple minutes. Be prepared for a battle of historic proportions from the donor and the receiver. You can also tube some of the rumen contents out of the healthy goat into the sick one.

16. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA

I know about the lower temp meaning her rumen could shut down thats why I am now worried. Sorry didn't mean that to sound smart. Yes am giving her probiotic paste. But since she doesn't seem to be able to swallow I don't know how much is going down. Don't know how to tube, in all my years have never had to do it. I wish I did. Geez really thought it would be my 17 year old wether that would go next but know seems it may be her. Will try to mix up some oatmeal and take it to her. Tried the coffee mixture, didn't seem to do anything. Well am going up to check on her. Oh, as for the cud thing, if she isn't swallowing would work. I know I did the cow stomache thing years ago. That was gross. Well I will go check and see if she's still with us, although she doesn't seem to be on her way out I am worried that no food will hurt her to much. This just really sucks

17. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA

I really wished I lived closer. Tubing in not that hard. If you do not have proper tubing equipment you can use fish air line and a turkey baster(wallmart carrys it). Messure the tubing from her mouth to the bottom rib in her side. If the tube does not go that far it could be in her lungs and try again. Be calm and it will go in right. Just do not force it. If it takes a couple times that is ok.
    You are doing a great job taking care of your girl.

18. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA

well I hadn't read about the fish tubing and called everywhere(tsc, local AEC)no one had it. So I mixed up the oatmeal and used my turkey baster and kind of syringed it into her. Was worried about getting it into her lungs as I know that can happen, But figured at this point she was possibly going downhill so it was worth a shot. Well got a good cup or more down into her, actually got her to swallow, watched her and kept my hand on her throat. Well when I did that her temp was 100.3. Just went up and checked on her, temp was 101.7. So gave her some gaterade the same way. She seemed to want it. So I gave her as much as she seemed to want. Will check her in about an hour.

19. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Her being eager to eat and drink are very good signs, I know that this is an uphill battle for both of you :hug: You are doing a great job, being "on top" of the problem and doing your best to bring her around shows her that she is loved. I pray that your baby improves even more soon :hug:

20. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA

well after remarkable improverments yesterday Dixie is now going downhill fast. Was still alive at 6:30, which surprised me, so its hard but will at this point I will put her down today. Yesterday she stood on her own a few times, still not really able to eat but tried and tried drinking. Her head was held pretty striaght, and I was able to get more of the oatmeal mixture in her plus some gatorade and water. Which she really seemed to want, when I pulled the baster out she help onto it and watched as I refilled it. But she hadn't peed or pooped since the am so that worried me. I could hear her rumen a little. I thought all was good. Then at 3 went to check on her and she was about 3 feet from where she was but on her side. I thought maybe she tried to walk and fell. So put her back. Then about 5 went up and found her on her back, legs straight up in the air. head bent back tight to the side. Everytime I would touch her she would just flail almost uncontrolably. Before I had no problem straighting her head to feed her or talk to her. Now if I do it it starts the flailing and seems to panic her. I held her a good long time last night and she knows I am there. But she still hasn't gone to the bathroom. So I really think its her time. As hard as it is I do think she is suffering at this point. Can't figure out why no pee, she got plenty of fluids and had been going before. It tough and it sucks but I don't know what else to do.