The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5 1/2 month old Nigerian buck died a few hours ago. I'm thinking it was polio, I've never had to deal with it but I'm new to goats. He had slight bottle jaw starting Friday so I gave him 1cc Ivermectin. Also, I have had 3 other goats get bottlejaw (barberpole) and ivermectin has knocked it out quickly but lots of recover time for the anemia.
So back to my boy. I wormed him Friday afternoon. Sunday I noticed he was lying down more than usual. When I tried to make him stand he would collapse & try to bleat. I held him up to eat & drink & he would for just a few minutes. So I started giving him lots of vitamins, minerals, electrolytes, & red cell. He was worse Monday, not getting up at all & not wanting to eat, I repeated giving him the same as before & a Vit B shot & Penn G. Now today, Tuesday, he was the same, but would stand for a minute. He didn't eat or drink much, so I gave him more of the same & Vit B shot & Penn G. He was too weak to chew or swallow. I started tube feeding him but his stomach was still very full w/the mixture from before. He had clumpy poo by the way. So I called the vet thinking polio & he needed Thiamine but during my call he passed. Vet said it wasn't worth him coming out & to expect to lose goats. (these are my registered & very nice Nigerians & he was a $350 buck!!!). His eyes started twitching & his head/neck went limp & he was bleating, back legs stretched out & tight, that happened minutes before he passed. I hate it so bad, he was very special to me, I bottle raised him. He was so nice, moonspotted & polled, from the best breeder in GA too.
So, could this be polio?
I also had another one die back in May with similar symptoms & died within 72 hrs. I had no idea about goat polio back then.
So, polio, listeriosis, or something else? Should I get a necropsy? Please help, any advice is welcomed.
Thank you

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
I would definitely get a necropsy done.

Did you ever treat them for coccidia? Coccidia can take them down quick too.

Ivomec needs to be given at 1cc per 20 lbs orally or 1cc per 40 lbs SQ injection.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

·
558 Posts
So sorry for you loss. So sad. I hope you find answers. It probably makes it hard that the vet doesn't sound very supportive. "Expect to lose goats" is not what I would want to hear from a vet. ((Hugs))

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
Im sorry for your loss.....I agree if you can have a necropsy done it will hopefully give you answers...

it does not sound like polio to me...sounds like he possibly struggled from the anemia....for some its hard to pull from, it makes them very weak..daily treatment is needed until color returns..it may have been too much for his system...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts