The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are no goat vets in my area. My horse vet won’t treat them, and our small animal vet only treats our cats and dogs. We have a doe that had a small bout of diarrhea, so we wormed her and also treated for Coccidiosis but she has become increasingly depressed, standing off from the herd, and last night when I went to feed she was down and thrashing. Disoriented. I brought her inside and started throwing everything I had at her as a last ditch to try to save her. I started reading about polio and decided I would just TRY to treat for that. So I gave her 3cc of penicillin last night and this morning we were finally able to locate a farm supply that had injectable fortified vitamin b complex. I really didn’t think she would survive until my husband got back home with it this morning. She had a seizure and had defecated and peed all over herself and was breathing very irregularly. When he got home, I gave her the injectable vitamin B and within an hour after giving it to her, her head is up and she is eating! I cannot believe it. Its truly a miracle. I’ve been reading all morning from different vet universities and I’m going to continue the vitamin B at the recommended dosage for the thiamin she needs every 3-6 hours and continue the penicillin, and pro-biotics. Has anyone ever had an experience with Polio like this? I’m certain it is Polio since she had such a rapid response to the vitamin B. I know we still have a long way to go and I’m not sure if she will survive yet but I am at least hopeful now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Keep up with the vitamin B. You have done well. Is the goat off feed and water?
She was! But now she is standing up on all fours and EATING hay and grain! I honestly have never seen anything like this before in my life. I almost feel as though I've witnessed a miracle. To go from barely responsive and unable to hold her head up to standing and eating. I've had a lot of goats and farm animals in my life. But I have never seen such a rapid response to a med like this. Ever. And I've never dealt with Polio before either.

·
Registered
6,240 Posts
Since you started the antibiotic you have to finish the course. Yes, continue the vitamin b complex, treatment is every six hours around the clock for 24-48 hours after the last symptom.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Back to square one. She’s down again and barely responsive. I’ve been doing the vitamin b around the clock every 4 hours. And trying my best to keep her hydrated. She was eating yesterday and now she can’t hold her head up again. Could it be something else or did I catch this too late?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts