Polio

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Henry’s Place, Jan 25, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Henry’s Place

Henry’s Place New Member

Jun 8, 2019
    Adairsville GA
    There are no goat vets in my area. My horse vet won’t treat them, and our small animal vet only treats our cats and dogs. We have a doe that had a small bout of diarrhea, so we wormed her and also treated for Coccidiosis but she has become increasingly depressed, standing off from the herd, and last night when I went to feed she was down and thrashing. Disoriented. I brought her inside and started throwing everything I had at her as a last ditch to try to save her. I started reading about polio and decided I would just TRY to treat for that. So I gave her 3cc of penicillin last night and this morning we were finally able to locate a farm supply that had injectable fortified vitamin b complex. I really didn’t think she would survive until my husband got back home with it this morning. She had a seizure and had defecated and peed all over herself and was breathing very irregularly. When he got home, I gave her the injectable vitamin B and within an hour after giving it to her, her head is up and she is eating! I cannot believe it. Its truly a miracle. I’ve been reading all morning from different vet universities and I’m going to continue the vitamin B at the recommended dosage for the thiamin she needs every 3-6 hours and continue the penicillin, and pro-biotics. Has anyone ever had an experience with Polio like this? I’m certain it is Polio since she had such a rapid response to the vitamin B. I know we still have a long way to go and I’m not sure if she will survive yet but I am at least hopeful now.

friesian49 likes this.
  2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Keep up with the vitamin B. You have done well. Is the goat off feed and water?

3. Henry’s Place

Henry’s Place New Member

Jun 8, 2019
    Adairsville GA
    She was! But now she is standing up on all fours and EATING hay and grain! I honestly have never seen anything like this before in my life. I almost feel as though I’ve witnessed a miracle. To go from barely responsive and unable to hold her head up to standing and eating. I’ve had a lot of goats and farm animals in my life. But I have never seen such a rapid response to a med like this. Ever. And I’ve never dealt with Polio before either.

4. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Just be sure not to stop with the vitamin B no matter how good she's lookin! What do you feed? I also want to make sure to prevent future polio...

toth boer goats likes this.
  5. Henry’s Place

Henry’s Place New Member

Jun 8, 2019
    Adairsville GA
    What are some things that can be done to prevent it and what is causing it? We feed Purina Goat feed, free choice hay, and pasture.

6. Henry’s Place

Henry’s Place New Member

Jun 8, 2019
    Adairsville GA
    Also, I read to continue treatment for 5 days. Is this correct?

GoofyGoat likes this.
  7. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    First, check your hay and make sure it's not moldy, wet or off. Is your Purina a sweet feed? If so I would highly recommend going to a feed that is not. I would just give her hay (if good) and plenty of water. If you do decide to switch feed, do it very slowly after she has recovered.

8. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Since you started the antibiotic you have to finish the course. Yes, continue the vitamin b complex, treatment is every six hours around the clock for 24-48 hours after the last symptom.

toth boer goats likes this.
  9. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
  10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Ditto that.

Prayers sent.

:goodjob:

11. Henry’s Place

Henry’s Place New Member

Jun 8, 2019
    Adairsville GA
    Back to square one. She’s down again and barely responsive. I’ve been doing the vitamin b around the clock every 4 hours. And trying my best to keep her hydrated. She was eating yesterday and now she can’t hold her head up again. Could it be something else or did I catch this too late?

12. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    No grain just hay and water. Are you giving her the treatment for both polio and listeriosis? Or just polio?

13. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
  14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    She sounds critical, get a vet right away. Or it is time to let her go. :(

NigerianDwarfOwner707 likes this.
  15. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    It could have been listeriosis if you did not treat for both. Or if you are continuing to feed her the cause (moldy feed or too much) it could have spiraled again.

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California