The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I guess it had to happen sooner or later! My first cases of polio (presumed... no lab test as yet). About a month ago a 3 y.o. doe began "stretching" her head oddly... not constant... nothing like I'd seen photos of "stargazing"... more like I rotate my own neck to stretch out a kink. Otherwise she was fine... great appetite, great demeanor, looking good... So I just made a mental note to keep an eye out.

A little over a week ago she began favoring the right rear leg. Given there's an ongoing struggle between her and my 4 y.o doe, I figured she had taken a really good hip butt, so I isolated her with her yearling kid for company to let the leg heal.

Sunday evening the yearling (who had been the picture of health earlier in the day) was down! Calm and alert, but unable to stand up on her own and (when I helped her to a standing position) very wobbly and the slightest bump would topple her. In addition, she was straining her neck back in a more typical "stargazing" position. I immediately suspected polio in both of them and (not having B1) gave a heavy dose of fortified B-complex and a booster of selenium.

Monday a.m. I ran to the vet for B1, and since then I've been giving each 4cc 3x daily. Improvement has been remarkable... but after 3 days of this, the little one is still pretty wobbly. She seems to be dragging her left rear leg -- much like she had a stroke. She can generally get herself up and down, and she can walk slowly, but she is still pretty weak and unstable.

Both goats are alert and eating well. Thank the Lord!

QUESTIONS: How long with this treatment before I see real, stable improvement? Is the test for polio and listeriosis a blood test? (I could draw blood and mail it off tomorrow...) Should I be doing anything different? Thank you!

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
Hmm.

Thiamine (or 5cc of 100mg/ml strength thiamine b complex) needs to be given every 6 hours round the clock.
You need to do penicillin 1cc per 10lbs every 6 hours round the clock.
If you have white tailed deer, you also need to give safeguard at 10x the label dosage for 5 days straight to treat for meningeal worm, I don't like the sound of the dragging and hind issues.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The thiamine should be given every 6 hours around the clock. Usually you do the penicillin at the same time so you are treating both polio/listeriosis. Do you have white tail deer in your area?
So you're saying I should be giving the thiamine 4x daily... 4cc each time? I've seen some videos online suggesting it could take weeks to get thru this... 4 injections daily for perhaps a month? (Just trying be sure I clearly understand what to expect to brace myself for the battle ahead!)

Yes we have whitetail deer. What is the protocol for the penicillin? Thank you Karen!

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm.

Thiamine (or 5cc of 100mg/ml strength thiamine b complex) needs to be given every 6 hours round the clock.
You need to do penicillin 1cc per 10lbs every 6 hours round the clock.
If you have white tailed deer, you also need to give safeguard at 10x the label dosage for 5 days straight to treat for meningeal worm, I don't like the sound of the dragging and hind issues.
Thank you... ok, 2 of you have said 4x daily not 3... on it! Adding in PenG tonite... will have to go out tomorrow for Safeguard. Thank you so much for the advice!

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
Thank you... ok, 2 of you have said 4x daily not 3... on it! Adding in PenG tonite... will have to go out tomorrow for Safeguard. Thank you so much for the advice!
The vitamin b must be given every 6 hours round the clock, and there is no risk of overdose, any excess is peed out, and it can be given for as long as needed.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh... one more thing...How long for the PenG? 5 days as with normal antibiotic protocols or indefinitely until symptoms subside?

What about probiotics to help repopulate the gut? Normally I give after we complete the antibiotics... but this could be a long drawn out deal.

Thanks for bearing with me in this. I typically use so little medication in my goat management... we have been blessed to be able to maintain generally healthy goats and have experienced little that can't be handled through "natural" care. This is a new one for me!

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,532 Posts
I had a goat with polio a few years ago. We gave him PenG, Dex, and Thiamine every 6 hours around the clock. It took him 2-3 weeks to recover. Part of that was the vet misdiagnosing him and not giving him enough meds when I diagnosed him properly. Once I got ahold of the proper amounts of meds...he made progress in about 2-3 days.

Give PenG and Thiamine until 24 hours AFTER the last symptom has disappeared to avoid relapse. Dex I believe was 6 days, dropping down the doseage.

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
You're doing great. I know this is scary and a ton of shots...but needed. To make shots easier for them..use proper needle size (18 g for penicillin and Banamine, 20-22g for thiamine) pinch the area a few time to help prepare her. Lift a good tent..check for blood, inject. Rotate locations..doesnt have to be traditional areas..find areas with loose skin.

Best wishes

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
If you use Dexamethsone on unbred Doe, .dose should be 1 cc per 20 pounds day one..decrease dose each day for 5 days. Ex: 5 cc day one, 4 cc day two, 3 cc day three and so forth. must be given IM.

Banamine 1 cc per 100 pounds sub q once a day for 3 days..or up to 5 if needed.

You can squeeze probiotics in there between shots but most will be destroyed by antibiotics..I would definitely do 3-5 days of probiotics after treatment is complete.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK... now this is really wierd. I ran to the vet today to get more thiamine and also Safeguard. They said they didn't have the paste but had the liquid form... Panacur. I said great. Came home with a big old bottle... really didn't look at it until I got home when I noticed they appear to have relabeled a bottle of Valbazen and sold it to me as Panacur. Now I got online to check, and sure enough they're in the same family but are not the same chemical. Before I get really bent out of shape and change vets (I am shocked they would do this!) can I use albendazole in lieu of fenbendazole to address the possible meningial worm? Also, if I use the albendazole am I correct in understanding that it should be safe on my pregnant doe (late pregnancy... she is due Jan 14) I totally don't know what to think... I've used these guys for 7 years and totally can't believe Doc would approve this (unless they are indeed essentially the same... even so, I think the distinction should have been made to me!)

As for the little girl... she began her antibiotics this a.m. and seems to be somewhat stronger... or maybe I'm just wishful thinking. The adult was doing great this morning, but I saw her "circle" her head once just now when I checked on them, so she will go on the full antibiotic and anti-parasite regimen as well.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's amazing!!! Why on earth would a licensed vet do this??? I'll have to call them in the morning (they're closed now) and get this righted. Aaarrrggghhhh!!! I cannot drive after dark... so at this point it will be tomorrow before I can search elsewhere for fenbendazole.

BTW... thank you @NigerianDwarfOwner707

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
You can use albendazole. It just needs to be a bendazole. Most of the time Safeguard is used because fenbendazole is the newest and most suggested, but you can use any bendazole product.

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
Valbazen can be used to address MW however I would not risk it in the pregnant doe. Even though she's late term. Tractor supply or other farm supply store should sell safeguard if you have one near.

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
got home when I noticed they appear to have relabeled a bottle of Valbazen and sold it to me as Panacur.
Wow...this shocks me. Unless they used an empty bottle to use?

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
You really need to contact your vet and ask him. Don't assume anything. Verify what he actually gave you.

Albendazole should not be used on pregnant females. But it does work on M worm.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts