Poll: Website opinions: pedigrees

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goathappy, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Just plain, just names of ancestors

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. With pictures of ancestors

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. With pictures as well as production and appraisal info

100.0%
  1. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I'm updating my website and adding all the new kids to it, and I need opinions on pedigrees. Do you prefer to see a blank pedigree with just animal names, or pictured pedigree where you can see all the ancestors of the animal? If yes to pictured, do you just like to see pictures or do you want to see production and appraisal records as well?

Here is an example of a blank pedigree: http://sandylanedairygoats.com/valerie.htm
    and here is an example of a pictured pedigree: http://sandylanedairygoats.com/yogi.htm

Thanks for your opinion :)

2. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    That pictured pedigree is really nice! It is obvious that you are putting a lot of work in to those pedigrees!

I chose the pictured pedigree because I was not sure how you would fit all the other information on the same page. I would be VERY interested in all that extra information, but not sure if it would make it look too busy on the pedigree. Could you have links to the production and appraisal records?

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    picture pedigrees are really nice - but a lot of work! So if you can get the pictures and all thats awesome.

The production records depends on the audiance you are trying to sell to I guess, but it can get to be way to croweded.

Something I would find helpful is for the bucks pedgree an udder shot of their dam if possible.

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Well the pictures with pedigree info, I would do it sort of like what I have now where you click on the little picture and it goes to a larger picture with pedigree info, except that I'll have a link to a page on my website rather than a link to a PB picture.

Thanks for your opinions :)

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    your welcome..... :wink: :greengrin:

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I do like picture pedgirees, the downside is...they take a long time to creat and sometimes it takes longer for people to view them. I'm torn between regular and the one's with names AND pics.

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I prefere a regular pedigree, but being able to click on the animals name and have a link that goes to the picture. When you put all the animals pictures on the pedigree itself they get really small and hard to see. One of my favorite website set ups is olentangyalpines.com.
    beth

8. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I decided I'm just going to have it where if you click on the picture, it goes to a bigger picture w/o production and performance records. It is a lot of work, but its better than putting it with production records, but I figure that most people can look up records.

Thanks guys :)