Polled genes

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by liz, Feb 23, 2009.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My only registered nigi doe happens to be polled....as is her twin sister.

Binky gave me 2 beautiful doelings last year that were sire by my pygmy buck, Hank....well both doelings have horns, hich isn't a problem as they went to homes that had other horned goaties :greengrin:

Binky is due to kid in another 27 days and was bred with a BE disbudded buck......Whats the chances of her giving polled or BE kids?

I know that at least one parent has to be polled to pass on that trait but I had a doeling born from a horned doe and a disbudded buck (his dam is polled) that was polled....and the same buck sired 2 polled bucklings from 2 different horned does.
    I'm just curious about this.....any input??? :?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    it is a 50/50 chance on polled

blue eyed gene depends there is a gene that will only pass on blue eyes and a gene that will pass on blue eyes at a 50/50 chance. If a buck only throws blue eyes then he will always throw blue eyes.

Example: Jitterbug's mom has thrown blue eyes 100% Jitterbug could have gotten the 100% gene or the 50% gene from her mom -- I will know once I breed her.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    So...pretty much a "wait and see" type thing. I'm getting super excited here....can't wait to see if she's gonna give me a doeling to keep!

Your Jitterbug is just gorgeous....and those BE on black are breathtaking! Wonder if I'll get a black BE doeling from Binky? :pray:

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    very possible. Remember you had a chance to get Jitterbug from me but you choose to not travel ;)

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Nope....won't go too far from home! Amanda, Ohio was my "limit" lol and that was even too far!

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you are to funny.

well if she gets on my nerves again I might just drive her to you! But right now she is on my good side. So you are safe from the terriors of Miss J

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    There's going to be many different kids you can get. You will have some goats dominant for the polled gene or blue eyes, and then you will have other goats recessive for polled or blue eyes. So if your doe is polled and the buck isn't then you're going to have a bit more likely chance to get horned. Here is kind of an example. Now i'm not sure on the parents of these two goats, but lets say this is what it looks like. Your polled doe's parents, one is polled and one horned. Your horned buck's parents, both are horned.

DS:polled
    D:polled
    DD:Horned

Resulting Kids(likely horned)

SS:Horned
    S:Horned
    SD:Horned

Now lets look at it like this....

DS: polled
    D:polled
    DD: Horned
    resulting kid (better chance of polled kids)
    SS: horned
    S: horned
    SD: polled

So just look at those like a pedigree, hopefully that makes sense. Now if you go back even further into the plineage, you will get an even better look at what you might get. Now the polled gene can be either dominant or recessive in a goat so each will be a bit different, but this does help give a little better prediction. I know like with paint horses, you can have a horse homozygous tobiano(w/ white markings) and it will never throw a solid colored foal. So I think here we've got kinda the same thing, just w/ polled and blue eyes in goats.

I know this is a bit confusing, but hopefully this helps you out a little bit. You can plug in blue eyes and whatnot in there and see if you will have good chance for blue or brown eyes.

8. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

In cattle its pretty much 100% that polled sires throw polled calves. The characteristics of the damn have no effect. That's one reason why we only buy polled bulls.

From the example KW gave, it sounds as if goats tend toward that same sex-linked trait a bit. It would be nice for goat breeders to try and develop a polled trait that could be counted on as it would make goat keeping much easier for hobbyists like me. I would definitely pay more for a goat that could reliably throw polled kids, either from the damn side or sire side.

The only other thing I've heard about goats is that polled goats sometimes have a problem with sterility. If that is the case, the trait for polled would definitely have to be carefully developed.

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Beelady..most of the time when breeding for polled kids, the only time theres an issue with defects such as sterility is if both the dam and the sire are polled. Other than that theres not much more that I do know...lol

The wait and see thing is whats gonna get to me...lol

10. Haviris

Haviris Member

Oct 7, 2007
    You have a 50% chance for polled kids, my polled doe had 2 out of 4 polled kids this year, both her kids were horned in her last kidding, you just can't ever tell! I'm not sure if it's possible for a goat to be homozygous for polled.

Blue eyes can be homozygous or heterozygous, if the buck's parents both have BE then there is a chance he is homozygous, and in that case all his kids will have BE. If one of his parents were brown eyed or if he's ever had a brown eyed kid, then he's heterozygous and you'll have a 50% chance for blue eyed kids. It is not possible for a goat w/ one brown eyed parent to be homozygous for blue eyes.

As for cattle, they can be homozygous or heterozygous for the polled gene, we always use polled bulls and we still get horned calves. Our current bull is out of a cow that always throws polled calves and we're hoping he will be homozygous for polled!

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thanks for explaining that - I knew i wasnt doing a good job of it