polled genetics ?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by keren, Nov 9, 2011.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I know nothing about how polled genetics work. My little buck is horned, his mum is polled and his dad is horned. His mum was product of horned doe polled buck mating. Hope you are follpwig this. Does my little buck carry polled genetics, and when mated to my horned does is there a chance for polled offspring?

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The polled gene has to be "shown" in order to have polled offspring, if your boy was polled he has a chance of throwing polled kids.

I have a polled doe and the only time she's ever given me polled kids was when she was bred with my polled buck...and she had her first triplets, 1 doeling that was horned and 2 polled bucklings.

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    A goat must be polled in order to throw polled offspring. There is a 0% chance you will get polled kids from a non-polled goat unless bred to a polled goat. The trait is dominant.

4. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Cheers guys!its not something i was specifically looking for just would have been a nice added benefit! Next question ... You know how polled goats often are really heavy milkers ... Is this also seen in their horned offspring?

5. Have to have it to get it like the others said. I have never heard that polled goats are heavy milkers.

Heavy milkers if bred well should produce heavy milking offspring.

6. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Polled or horned...doesn't make a difference in conformation or milkability. It has to do with the genetics and breeding behind the goats. Horn status has absolutely nothing to do with how well a goat will or will not milk....it's all genetics. ;)

7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I have often heard it said that australian polled genetics are different to polled gemetics elsewhere in the world ... But here anyway polled is associated with very high yeild

8. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I doubt it would be different, but what you might be seeing is that a lot of those polled goats come from the same genetics or decendants of one line of goats that tend to milk well. It could have started very very far back in the pedigree.

Have there been any studies on the matter or anything? That is interesting.

9. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I remember speaking to a very old breeder who has all the research etc but ive no idea where to find it or him.now. Thia was four or five years ago. He explained exactly how our genetics differed resulting in more intersex kids in australian polled genwtics. And he said the milk.correlation waa a definite. Polled goats are very rare here there is one registered doe in our state.

10. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Hmm...well never heard that one before.

11. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota