Polled goats

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by myfainters, Mar 9, 2010.

1. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Hi All,

Here is a link about the Appenzell (entirely polled breed of goat) I finally found the link. LOL http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/goats/

I haven't done a lot of research on them yet... but I thought they are interesting since they are all polled. :)

2. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    LOL...And the link would be where? You forgot to post it. LOL

3. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    :ROFL: :doh: !!!!!!

4. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    Hmm, that IS interesting. Wonder what makes them all polled? Huh.

5. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I like what I saw. :thumbup: Nice looking goaties.

Unlike the standard Angora, both of my Navajo Angora does are polled. It sure makes working with and around them alot easier.

Deb Mc

6. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Thanks for posting that. Those are really neat. Too bad they are endangered.

7. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    Wow the Appenzell in the picture has huge teats! I feel sorry for the kids who have to get their mouths around that :)

Interesting breed though... really beautiful coat.

8. lisatn

lisatn New Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Good Morning,
    I was searching the site for info on polled goats and hope you don't mind if I jump in and ask a question regarding polled genes. I took a set of twins to be debudded yesterday and when I picked them up the vet said the doe was naturally polled. I am surprised due to both parents were horned and I have an email out to the breeder of the dam to see if any where polled. The vet said it sometimes happens as the polled gene was recessive.
    I am a bit of a newbie (first year) and this is my first polled (they are Nigerians) does this mean she and her twin brother will carry the gene or is it more of a freak of nature?
    Thanks for any info!
    Lisa

9. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    In recessive inheritance, the offspring must inherit the gene from both parents for it to express, or in this case for the kid to be polled. So your polled doe does carry the gene. Her twin brother may or may not. It all depends on whether he inherited the gene from at least one parent and that's difficult to say since he it didn't express. He obviously didn't inherit from both parents or else he'd be polled like his sister.

Now in order for your naturally polled doe to produce polled kids, she'd have to be bred to a buck who also carries the gene. Breeding the brother to a naturally polled doe would be one way to determine if he carries the gene (if any of the offspring turn out naturally polled). The only other option I can think of would be DNA testing.

Hope this helps.

Deb Mc