polled kids

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Graffogefarms, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Graffogefarms

Graffogefarms New Member

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    Got a question here, as I'm wondering. Some of the 11 kids have horns, which are getting done. Basically - Sweetie, Oreo, Fluffy, daisys little boy, tootsie, little man. Now there are Tias boy Starbux, Vinca's little cat, Mocha's doe happy , and then mookid and rolf, are a month old and only smooth bumps no sign of horns? I believe Mocha was polled, and Mookid and Rolf - their daddy is wodins son bobo, who is out of a poled doe, and carries the gene, Can a pole Gene appear every once in awhile, and at what stage should I expect to see little horn buds. If Tia's buckling was born on the 16th, shouldn't he have some at this stage, and Vinca's was born th 17th February. I don't mind if a goat is polled or not. I've been trying to google it, but still not sure. :question:

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I would think by one month old ...that you should see something started......
    I also would think... just like any gene ...such as polled, color, solid , spots, ect. Any of the genes can pop up here and there ...showing there faces.........If I am wrong ...someone please correct me...... :wink:

3. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I agree with Toth boer goats, but I am not sure either?? :shrug:

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    You should be able to feel the horns in a few weeks. Most all goat I them in a matter of days.

5. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Ok... how to explain. I can tell when my kids are going to be polled or horned... because the ones with horns are born with a cute little curl where the horns are going to grow. The polled kids are born with simply a smooth head...

let me find photos!!

ok this is a polled kid, dry:
    [​IMG]

comparison between polled and horned while still wet:
    [​IMG]

horned, dry:
    [​IMG]

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    very good pics and info...lesserweevil...how old are the kids in the pics?

7. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    only a day or two old. Well the pic of the 3 together they are merely minutes old. I can load pics of polled kids at a few weeks old, but not of horned kids as I had the horned ones disbudded at a few days' old.

LW

8. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    that is AWESOME weevil, thanks so much!

9. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    It is actually a lot harder to tell whether a goat is horned or polled when it is dry, as the hair kind of "poufs" out. However... here are "semi-dry" pictures of Tristan and Isa (still again, day 1) which shows clearly that Tristan is horned and Isa is polled:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

when Demi's babies are born I will take pics of their heads to demonstrate, too. All the older goat baby pictures I have either has them with 2-3 inch horns (Samwell) or little burn spots from disbudding, ROFL

LW

10. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    same goats a week later:

Tristan:

[​IMG]

Isa:

[​IMG]

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Great pics Katy!

I found out last with last years kids all about the polled gene! Never had a polled kid the previous 6 kiddings but when I brought in ND's I got one polled doeling and the Nigi buck sired 2 polled buckling with outside does.
    With mini's I swear the bucklings are born with horns, those buds pop up at just a few days old, doelings though , it takes a few weeks to come thru the skin. Smooth heads and no "devilish" horn curl above the brow are sign of a polled kid.

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Great pictures. I figured if anyone had one to show it would be you. Thanks.

OK, so I read in a goat medical book that polled goats are more likely to be sterile. Is that true? It sure does not souds like that here or anywhere I have ever read.

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My doe Binky is polled....and has freshened 3 times already, so I guess the polled/sterile thing may be misleading.

I do think that it is when polled and polled are bred together that the questions on reproductive health pops up....like the higher instance of inter sexed kids.

14. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    breeding polled to polled supposibily will produce steril goats or hemopherite (sp?) but I dont know how true that is or if it is an old wives tale.

15. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OK, I was just wondering. I thought that was really weird when I read it. I must not of not read the whole thing. :GAAH:

16. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    breeding two polled goats together increases the chance of having intersex/haemaphrodite kids. This is in a lot of textbooks so I think there has to be some science behind it.

BUT - my mentor in the states was breeding stud dairy does on a commercial basis - I think he had up to 100 at one point - the majority of the does were polled and he put a polled buck over them. He never had an intersex kid. And he did it for many many more years than I can even imagine.

So I think it can happen, but its not as common as most people think

17. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Breeding polled to polled //CAN// produce hermaphrodite offspring. However, it's not a case of "it will". It's a possibility, but you're just as likely to get a normal kid. It is inadvisable because of the possibility, however.

LW

PS sweetgoats you just dont wanna know how many gigabytes of goat-photos I have on this laptop... AND on my dad's desktop. Almost every time he sees me he says "do you still want those large folders on my computer?" me: "YES DONT TOUCH THEMMMMMMMM"