Polled Nigi question

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Cinder, May 14, 2010.

1. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I have two Nigi bucklings that will be three weeks old tomorrow. I can barely feel bumps on their heads.. is it possible they are polled? Or, do their horns grow in slower than the larger breeds?

The buck I used for this breeding does have some polled ancestors - he is not polled. The dams do not and they are not polled.

I don't want horned goats but don't want to disbud if they are polled, obviously.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well either their buds are very slow growing or their dad was actually polled but the previous owners disbudded him because they cant carry the polled gene it can only be expressed. And to pass on the polled gene to their kids they have to be polled themselves

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    They would have horns at this age, by 2 weeks they are thru the skin. Polled kids can have bumps were the horns should be...my buck throws polled kids and he had been disbudded...Steph at Honey Hollow has a doeling that was sired by Chief that is polled, she is now 5 months old and has "brow bumps"...Lawanda, a member here, has the buckling he sired...polled too and has bumps.

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    If you don't feel little nubs where the horns are trying to come through then don't disbud quite yet. Either mom or dad is polled or these kids are growing very slowly. By four weeks if there isn't anything I would bet they are polled and mom or dad are polled as well then. Mom or dad MUST be polled in order for the kids to be.

5. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Dumb question-I know-but I have a polled buck that hasn't produced kids yet and I've only had my first kidding at my farm-how long does it take to tell if they are polled? Please advise...LOVE YOU GUYS!

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Well, generally by 2 to 3 weeks you will know if they are horned because they will start getting tiny hard nubs on their head, that is usually at the latest though. I have seen buck kids with horn nubs as early as 5 days. Polled kids will have two round bumps where their horns should be. If there are no horns by three weeks you probably have a polled goat.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    polled kids dont have the swirls where the horns will grow -- their heads will be differnet looking too

8. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Stacey - that was very helpful about the swirls... thanks. I did just find out that these kids dad is polled. It was also helpful knowing that either the doe or buck has to be polled for the kids to be.

Thanks guys. :)