Polled nubian/boers???

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by whatknott, Feb 2, 2009.

1. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    3 weeks ago on a Sunday afternoon, the livestock dealer called me and asked if I wanted some baby goats. I really didn't as I already had 3 pygmy goats on bottles, but if he called I knew it wasn't a good situation. A nubian doe had given birth to triplets the day before and one was already dead and he said the mother didn't have any milk, which means if I don't take them, he'll just let them die. So he delivered them to our house (that was a surprise as I usually have to drive to his place). One was nearly dead and the other one was doing pretty good. They are both now doing well. They did get some colostrum at his place, and he gave them selenium shots, but I don't know if they had enough colostrum and I didn't have any in the freezer this time. So it's a matter of waiting to see if their immune system will be okay with the amount of colostrum that they got.

But my question is this: at 3 weeks, neither one (one male, one female) have any signs of horns. I never heard of polled nubians or polled boers, but I think that's what I have. Anyone else ever hear of these breeds being polled?

2. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I know there are some people here breeding polled boers (purebreds, not fullbloods) so I think anything is possible

On a side note, I have raised kids, lambs and calves to maturity on NO colostrum at all. Its very important, I agree, but its not the end of the world if they dont get it. People seem to think that the kid/lamb/whatever will keel over pretty quick if they dont get colostrum. They dont, what tends to happen is they are VERY prone to infection at the 5 week mark. So keep a VERY CLOSE EYE on them at that point, treat with antibiotics at the slightest sign of ill health. This is one situation where I have no problems routinely using antibiotics. Make sure your hygiene is top notch. Avoid anything that could introduce infection. Once they can get past the 5 wk mark, you can relax a little.

I've raised many animals without colostrum and havent lost any of them.

3. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I thought all breeds could be polled except maybe cashmere or angora. :shrug: If they do not have colostrum I think they will be fine with a little more TLC :hug:

4. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    Fullblood Boers are not polled.

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Are they some kind of cross?? I'm not familiar w/ nubians or boers being polled, but again, I haven't researched it much so ???

6. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    the polled boers here are bred up from polled dairy goats until they reach purebred status

7. Haviris

Haviris Member

Oct 7, 2007
    I had a polled nubian. Our first goats were a nubian doe and her two kids, one doe and one wether, the wether was polled.

8. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I have some friends that have polled Nubians, so it's certainly possible.

9. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    well, guess I have two polled nubian/boer goats...will stop looking for horns to come in.

10. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    A good way to tell whether they will have horns is that where the horns come in, there will be a little curl - like a swirl. On a polled goat they will have no swirl. :greengrin:

11. CodyMyGoat

CodyMyGoat New Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Washington!
    We have a Nubian/Boer(we think) he has no horns and is from the auction- he is also huge...

i'm sure i was no help lol

12. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Probably a brother to these ones!! The mother went through an auction, and like the dealer said, she could have been anywhere. the boy is actually kind of small and he has the boer markings. the girl is a light fawn and big and chunky.

13. CodyMyGoat

CodyMyGoat New Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Washington!
    lol. i can send you pics and you can compare :ROFL:

14. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Aww! I'd love to see pictures of your little sweeties! How kind of you to take them in.

15. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Montana
    If you are not sure if these kids had enough colostrum, be sure they get vaccinated with both CDT and pasteurella vaccine.

16. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I didn't know there was a pasturella vaccine...what is it called?

17. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Re: Polled nubian/boers - PHOTO added

i finally got around to taking photos of the two nubian/boer babies that had been born at the livestock barn. They're now 7 weeks old. The all white (buff) colored one is the one that I had to start LA200 as she seemed to have inhaled milk into her lungs. But thankfully she is doing fine now...going to give one more day of the antibiotic to be sure.
    They definitely are polled. I need to look up the size for miniature nubians as they seem small to me. Anyone on here raise miniature nubians?

18. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    they are real cuties........ :greengrin: :love:

19. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    The pen that they are in is about 3 1/2 feet wide - (it's actually an old petting zoo pen) and 32-34" high. since I'm weaning them, I have grain in front of them all the time, but the other critters have access to this stall area too - just not into their separate pen. so I put their dish all they way against the wall so no one can reach through the spaces and eat their feed. Well, a couple of times it's been moved over by the side of the pen and obviously empty. I was trying to figure out which one of the other animals was doing it. I'm thinking the alpacas could proably reach it but it would be unusual for them to pull it over to the side of the pen. Well, I caught the culprit today! It's the nubian Hope that has this enormous udder that I've been posting about!! She has herself strattled over the pen - the front half is in the pen eating away at the food, then back end is out side the pen!! It was tall enough that she couldn't quite straddle it, but it didn't matter to her!! I should have taken a photo - but i was disgusted with her and just got her out of her stuck position!! I should take a photo of her udder - it's unbelievable that it can get this huge without bursting and she still acts her mischievous self.

20. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh dear :doh: crazy goat