POLLED????

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by liz, Mar 5, 2008.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well I stand corrected - polled is recessive.

2. Chaty

Chaty Guest

Oct 5, 2007
    I have a polled buck and a horned disbudded buck...then 1 of my does got into the buck pen and when she kidded she had triplets and 1 looks just like the disbudded buck and the doeling looks like the polled buck with blue eyes and polled also. the third little guy 2 bucks and a doeling in the triplets...looks like the momma and has horns also...I disbudded the bucklings and guess I dont have to disbud the doeling...This was the strangest thing so far for me as she was bred by both bucks ...So anything is possible and the baby that is polled could be the other bucks but was just a wee bit early... :?

3. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

i dont know that that is possible. i know it is with some animals like cats. but im not sure about goats. I would be inclined to think that the polled buck is the sire. Bucks can throw a lot of colors. Just because one kid is the same color as the other sire doesnt mean he is his kid. I had a buck who was a belted chamoisee bred to several does. He was the only possible buck. with a two tone chamoisee he had a cou clair and a belted cou clair, neither kid looked like either parent. with nigerians you never really know what color you're going to get. There are so many color possibilities. before you register kids i would do a DNA test on them. I have a doe who i though was bred back in november and then in January she came back into heat when i brought home a new buck. both bucks had a hay day broke the gate and got in with the does. When she kids im going to have to do a DNA test.
    beth

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Neither of my bucks are polled, though Chiefs dam is polled.

Heres another ? to drive ya nuts! I was expecting polled kids from Binky...she is polled, both doelings are horned as is Hank their sire.
    Angel is horned, her dam is polled, her doeling is horned, Chief is the sire. Why would Tilly give me a polled kid when she has horns as does the goats in her lineage and no polled kids from the obvious ones?

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

sorry liz, that was for chatty.
    Im not really sure how all these genetics work, i know the polled gene is recessive, but i imagine of two animals are both carrying the gene then they will have kids that will show up with it eventually. Id be inclined to think that somewhere along those lines there is a polled animal. a lot of people fill out papers wrong as well. i have a friend that has a lamancha buck another friend has his siter. both the animals weigh about sixty lbs at two years of age. the peopel they got them from have pygmys too. Now the papers say purebred lamanchas but im inclined to think there was a slip up somewhere and there is a pygmy buck somewhere in those lines. If you look at the shape of their heads they resemble a pygmy and with the size, well as you know sixty lbs is not a good size for lamancha two year olds.
    beth

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Ha Ha...my bad! I was wondering the same thing in reference to Chaty's post...about 2 different bucks sireing kids in the same birth. Tilly's triplets are so different from each other...She has a carmel "pygmy" doe and an agouti "pygmy" doe and the polled one is a belted silver agouti looking Nigi doe! Being up close with them it is very easy to see their differences and believe me the agouti pygmy kid looks totally pygmy right down to her cobby little body and almost no legs compared to the other doeling! I guess these things do pop up occasionally, just had me wondering.

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

i tried finding some information on the internet but i couldn't i may put a post out on another group. I know a lots of breeders that know a lot more then me, been in it for years. Maybe they could help me shed some light on this. Now you all got me really inerested in finding this out. I have a doe who was bred by two buck on the same day and heat cycle. I was just going to DNA test them.
    beth

8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

ok guys i posted about this on another group, i got two emails saying no its not possible but the majority of them say yes it is possible. Very rare but if they time it right then yes. So it looks like your kids could very well be sired by two different bucks.
    Good to know as i have a doe who was bred two both my bucks when they escaped and got in with her. Now im gonna have to DNA test any and all doe kids. which of course is what she will have! HAHA

beth

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Just out of curiosity, how do you go about the DNA testing? The only ones here that could be registered would be Binky's doelings...which I already figured my unregistered pygmy buck is their sire as there is an agouti as well as a black doe. It would be neat to find out for sure if 2 bucks can sire kids with the same birth.

10. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Im going to have to do some more reserch on it But WADDL doe it, you just take a sample of hair from the dam the kid and the potential sire. I dont have one of the bucks anymore, so i will just test with the buck i have, if he isnt it then i know who dad is.
    beth

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sounds simple enough, but who is this?

12. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    All that polled, blue-eyed, moonspots etc are is mutations of genes. That has to start somewhere so no it isn't impossible for a pair of horned goats to produce a polled, but I would think if you own a polled buck and you wound up with a polled kid then there was a fence breeding or something. I would DNA test if it were mine.

13. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

14. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I did check out those links, thank you for posting them....they didn't really say anything about pricing though but to contact the company.

I posted pics of the 2 doelings heads in kidding coral...probably the wrong spot but please if you can, give me your opinions on wether or not I'm right on this.