Polled?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Candy, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Candy

Candy New Member

Is the polled gene usually passed? I had my 2 does bred with a polled buckling. The doeling has the little swirls on her head and I can feel the bumps where her horns will be. Neither of the bucklings have the swirls, but I can feel bumps. The one buckling was born May 124th. The others two were born May 17th.
    I didn't know if the gene is dom. or recessive.
    Candy

2. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Do not disbud them unless their buds feel "pointy". If their buds feel like a knuckle then they are polled.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hey Candy! Chief isn't polled, he's dis budded....his dam was polled as was his grandsire....yep it can be passed though...the doeling he (I believe the dam settled with both bucks) sired with Tilly was polled and before Chief, I NEVER had a polled kid born. Not sure if it's recessive or dominant but it is passed along. With the boys I would say that if they don't have buttons by now then they are polled. Possibly get a pic of the tops of their heads...I got alot of help with my little doe by quite a few on here.

4. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    I got twin boys out of a horned doe bred by polled buck and got one boy polled and one with horns (dis-budded not). The other doe I bred to that polled buck is due 6/13. I thought is was recessive too, but evidently not.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I am no expert but what i do know is that you can't carry a dominant trait so any trait that is "carried" must be recessive.

6. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Polled is dominant and cannot be carried. You have to have one parent goat polled in order to pass it on.

Sounds like to me that your bucks are polled and your doe is horned.

The hair around the horn base is swirled just like you said, on horned kids. On polled it can be wavy, flat, no direction etc.

I do not disbud kids who "might" be polled till around 3 weeks old. Yes it means a slightly longer burning but they do very well since we've done a lot around that age. This will allow the little horns some time to start growing. Once I see horns I disbud. If I don't see horns I keep watch everyday for changes. If they never get horns they're polled.

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    so there is a chance that Cheif was disbudded but needlessly?

Though I am sure that anything is possible and things can just show up --- not everything follows the order of things --- hence my two black goats having a chamois

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    No, Chief was horned...according to his breeder and he waits til they are 3 weeks before he disbuds unless it's a buckling that needs it earlier.

So to clear any confusion:

Chief WAS horned and dis budded

All does he sired kids with have horns

His dam is polled
    His Grandsire is polled(maternal)
    His maternal Great Grand Dam is polled.

So if Chief was horned, where did the polled gene come from?

9. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I've seen numerous polled goats that look like horns are coming in so I wait to be sure they are in fact horns, not buds.

Another thing the polled gene can do is just really delay the horn growth, that's why I continue to watch for weeks after the usual disbudding age. I've heard of kids waiting till they're 6 months old to get horns. They'd been previously sold as polled so it can really be difficult to be positive.

As for black producing chamoise, that's only possible if the black was dominant black. Not possible if its recessive black. So I would think either the black was an extremely dark chamoise or dominant black. I've seen some chamoise that wash together so well that you can't tell their chamoise. Same applies for black agoutis and very dark buckskins. Recessive black though cannot hide any color at all.

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Ok....so to be a dominant trait it would have to be "visible"....such as a blue eyed goat or a black goat....recessive would be not visible??? Way too confusing for me and waaay too long since Biology class in school. lol.

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    dominant - yes like blue eyes or belly band

12. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    As it happens, most traits like this are dominant. Blue-eyes, polled, moonspots, body white spotting, frosting, star, belt etc. So yes dominant have to be "expressed" to be passed on.

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    So the fact that I got a polled kid out of a horned mom and a presumably dis budded buck isn't possible?

This whole "geneology" thing has me super confused :shrug:

Binky is polled, Hank horned...both her doelings are also horned???

14. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Hi Candy, I see your from Harrisburg! I Grew up in Lancaster, and lived in Harrisburg (went to school there) before I moved up to MA!

I too have a question about polled-

Our buck IS polled- was bred to a doe whose SIRE was polled as well.
    We had triplets :girl: :girl: :boy: - thought they were all polled, one :girl: still has NOTHING, and the other two :girl: :boy: seem to have horn buds sprouting through now, they are just about 7 weeks old though!

Are you saying its possible for them to come in that late?

Gosh all the other boys are born with buds- and girls get them a few days later..... :scratch:

We are getting out the disbudding iron tomorrow to do the rest of the kids- and figured we would do them too, could it hurt them to disbud them if they arent truely horns? Eesh- we sent in their reg papers as all pollled too. :GAAH:

15. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I had a doe who was polled bred to a buck who's dam was polled and had twin polled kids. That is an interesting thought there.

Anything's possible, but its extremely unlikely. Polled goats are a mutation of the horn gene. So yes horned to horned does on an extremely rare occasion produce polled. Then the polled gene being dominant is passed down in each generation.

That's how new breeds of animals are created and how blue-eyes etc all these fancy traits are developed. They're accidents that happen that are liked and then bred for.

16. Candy

Candy New Member

Hi Proctor Hill,
    I went to school in Harrisburg. My father had a Pharmacy at 18th & Market--many, many, many, many years ago--LOL The area sure has changed since the 60's
    I'm so-o-o-o confused with this polled or not polled. I thought you shouldn't breed polled with one that had a polled backround because you got unhealthy/didformed kids. Is that a myth? What's the story.
    I don't disbud so I'll just wait and see. I know that the kids are just finewith the disbudding, but I cry every time I had to help or watch. I don't do it because I'm the one who gets so upset.
    Candy

17. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Candy it is Polled to Polled that people suggest you don't breed together as it supposibly (not actual facts to proove it) can cause oh whats that word :scratch: anyway it starts with an H

18. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Hermaphrodite :wink:

This is a very interesting thread, very confusing. Now I think that if you breed polled on polled and either of the polled goats have horned parents that there isn't a chance of hermaphrodites because there is still a horned gene hiding in there.

I'm not very familiar with the polled topic, all of my goats have been dehorned.

19. Candy

Candy New Member

Good Grief!! We started with one end and ended up with the other! LOL :scratch:
    Now I'm going to post another question under the topic "Colors in Nigerian Dwarfs?"
    Thank you all so much for your comments! Right now every thing is as clear as MUD--LOL
    I need a bit of time to digest it all!
    :thumbup: Candy

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you will get use to how topics slowly digress :shades: